Sunday, May 28, 2017

miami the bass and the sunset low

I apparently forgot to blog last night - #sorrynotsorry. I had a great two days in Miami, replete with lots of sun, food, alcohol, books, and friendship time with Terry. Yesterday we spent the whole day by the pool, and I mostly laid around and drank deliciously icy alcoholic beverages while reading THE ROSIE PROJECT (adorable! Sort of like the book version of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, but this guy wants to have friends and not be quite so insufferable, and his path toward falling in love is really cute. I recommend). Terry and I also talked a lot, and we eventually abandoned the pool to have dinner at the hotel (it was *crazy* in South Beach this weekend, so we didn't want to venture anywhere that would require driving). It turns out that the dinner at the hotel was fabulous, so this was not a sacrifice.

Today, I got up earlyish again, and I got to her hotel before traffic got ridiculous, which was great. We met at the pool, where I finished reading my book, and we had two margaritas each just because we weren't ready for vacation to end. Then we had a late lunch at the hotel (on the veranda overlooking the crowds), which included a bottle of rosé, so I was well and truly tipsy by the time Terry needed to leave.

So, she grabbed her bag, and we shared a lyft away from the madness of South Beach. She dropped me off at Roam, and I took a nap and a shower before I called my parents. They were making plans for Texas, but with my current lifestyle, planning anything more than a week away seems like more effort than it's worth. Yes, I've gotten weirdly blasé about some types of planning, although I can still be totally OCD when the mood strikes.

Then I ordered sushi for delivery, and I read another book tonight (which I started at the pool this morning) - CRAZY RICH ASIANS, which I'd heard Joann and Jen talk about before. This is why I ordered sushi, because I really just wanted fried rice or noodles after reading about Singaporean food,and sushi seemed like the next best thing. The book was okay - I didn't love it, but I think that's because the narration dipped in and out of too many characters' heads in a way that didn't make me feel all that connected to any of the characters. The main hero and heroine ended up feeling a little blank, although the characters as a whole were entertaining and I enjoyed the excessive displays of wealth. And I want to keep reading the series, so I guess that's an endorsement.

But now it's almost one a.m., and I need to sleep - I'm treating tomorrow as a work day, which means I need to get up and write. Goodnight!

No comments: