Monday, May 22, 2017

the dreammaker's gonna make you mad

I continue to be a glutton for food and friendship, but all of that is going to come to a screeching halt tomorrow (until Friday, when I'm reunited with Terry, so it's not like I'm going off into the wilderness). I woke up this morning later than planned but earlier than desired, and I spent the morning running necessary errands - I grabbed breakfast at MyMy (an old haunt), then schlepped a bunch of stuff to the post office to mail home so I wouldn't have to drag it around for the next three weeks, then took a lyft to Nordstrom to return a sweater I bought last week that appeared to snag itself on contact with air.

By that point, I was running just in time for my first social activity of the day - I had a semi-late lunch with Lauren (aka Subz) at Bun Mee on Fillmore. While there, I described myself as the old-time town crier of our friend group, since I've done a giant circle of people in the bay area over the last two weeks and have reported important news around the circle as I've moved between people. We had a delightful lunch, although it's always too brief, and I felt a few moments of genuine sadness as I walked away from her at the end and remembered that I won't see her again for a couple of months. This is the downside cost of my peripatetic lifestyle....

...but the upside is that I'm going to Miami tomorrow, and if I get Zika it will be repaid via the sheer delight of sun, heat, water, and time to work on my book. After I said goodbye to Lauren, I walked to Japantown, where I was going to buy washi tape but instead bought some little post-it flags shaped like matroshka dolls (don't ask, I'm an artist and it's part of my process). Then I came back to my hotel because I was exhausted and needed an hour.

But I rallied in time to go to Nopalito and meet up with Katrina for dinner and drinks (three margaritas, in my case). I'd spent a lot of time with her cat over the last week, but obviously I hadn't seen her, so we were overdue for a catch-up. And it was all delightful, and I'm impressed with us for rallying when she was so jetlagged and I was so exhausted.

But after three hours of dinner, it really was time for bed, so we parted ways, and I thus said goodbye to my last stop on my tour of the bay area. Tomorrow I shall go to the airport and fly to Miami - I can't guarantee that my blog will be more interesting then, but it will certainly contain new experiences. Goodnight!

No comments: