Monday, July 31, 2017

fear of corners

I'm not feeling like blogging tonight, but I've gone so many nights without a proper post that I'm beginning to forget how to do it, so I should probably write something. I tried to write last night, but I was so exhausted that I somehow closed my laptop without finishing or posting, so #sorrynotsorry.

As I tried to say last night, I'm in Berkeley - I'm dogsitting for John and Jess's next door neighbors, which is great in some ways because it's giving me a quiet home base for ten days or so. I have grand plans to write a lot and cook a lot and generally get my productivity back on track, which is why I didn't rent a car - with a car, I would be tempted to drive all over the bay area to see everyone I know, and while that is a v. worthy goal, I really can't afford to spend the next two weeks doing that. I've already had too much time off this summer, and while I trust that the story is percolating in the back of my brain during periods like this, I need to actually sit down and write the story at some point or else all the percolation means nothing.

So, I'm holing up in Berkeley, getting all of my social needs met by John and Jess (who kindly fed me breakfast this morning since I hadn't bought groceries yet) and Veronica (who has to be in Berkeley every day this week on kid errands, and so is writing here during the day). I wasn't sure how this would go yesterday, when the dog I'm taking care of seemed to be extremely pissed off about my existence. I also wasn't sure how it would go last night, when she howled from loneliness and despair over her missing owners every couple of hours throughout the night. But this morning I opened my door and let her come in and sniff around me and my stuff, and then she was quite happy to let me take her on a walk, so we've reached some sort of careful detente.

Getting her to stop howling and take a walk was pretty much the most exciting thing that happened today - it was hard to top that feeling of relief. But it was great to be able to walk next door and have breakfast with John and Ian, and then Veronica came over and we worked all day. That, of course, means I mostly took care of things I hadn't been able to do last week, and also that I talked to her far more than we should have talked, but no regrets. We took a break to grab lunch from Sweet Greens, and when she left I had her drop me off at a grocery store so I could stock up on stuff and lyft back here. Then I spent the evening walking the dog, doing laundry, and taking care of some business stuff - all v. exciting, I know.

And now I need to fold my laundry and go to bed - I'm trying to stay on an early schedule here since I need to walk the dog in the mornings and Veronica is usually coming over around 8:30 (normal time in normal human situations, but super early for my vampirish tendencies). Goodnight!

No comments: