Wednesday, August 30, 2017

i'm only human after all

I haven't gone two nights without blogging since the silent retreat I went on in Bali - and the last two days have been anything but silent. Monday I awoke in Zach and Maggie's house at a rather early hour so that I could leave when they left - I said goodbye to Maggie and Eddie before eight a.m., but then Zach and I went out for breakfast. This was a lovely end to my weekend - we had crepes and I loaded up on coffee for the drive home, and we also had a meandering conversation about life, books, memories, etc. Then I took him to work, where he showed me around his lab - I saw many wonders, and I was super impressed by his work. However, I'm also happy that I went down the romance novelist path instead of the nematode-counting path, even if he may make major breakthroughs in our understanding of aging mechanisms and I may just make major breakthroughs in coming up with synonyms for penises. #noregrets

After I said goodbye to Zach, I drove home, which took several hours (and a couple of stops for caffeine, bathrooms to deal with the results of caffeine, and snacks to keep me going). I spent the rest of Monday wasting time and eating corn, which is the definition of my usual #smalltownlife antics.

Tuesday, I wasted more time, but didn't eat corn. Instead, I tried and failed to answer emails. I also learned that crickets can eat clothing, which was a "key learning", as they say in corporate America.

Today, I vowed to stay off social media - I need a break, since I clearly did nothing yesterday, mostly because I spent the whole day checking twitter like a fucking addict. And for the most part I succeeded - I still read some news and read some emails, and also got a brief fix from a long convo with Katie, who told me some stuff about current events (and I told her about the Twitter parody of Joel Osteen called Joel Dongsteen, which takes Osteen quotes and replaces 'God' with 'your dick', which yields hilarious results if you hate Joel Osteen as much as I do).

But today felt better than yesterday, since I sent like five emails instead of negative two emails, so that's great. And I drove into town to pick up some groceries, so that also felt like a real accomplishment. And then I spent the evening watching fine CBS programming (the hometown boy on Big Brother made a totally dumb move that will probably cost him his game, but I'm cool with that). And now it's time to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: