Friday, September 08, 2017

backstroke everyday in chicago

I had a v. productive day in Denver - still no writing, but I'm getting closer to some decisions. I woke up this morning and showered in time to vacate the house when Katie left for work - but we went together to Black Eye (a coffeeshop), where we worked/talked while having coffee (a tasty pourover for me, which was way too hipster but also way too good) and breakfast (her pork tacos looked awesome but the tortillas were flour; I had bacon and eggs, which sufficed).

Then, I left her to go to Boulder - I had an appointment to look at an apartment, and I really liked it a lot. So much so that we have a gentlemen's agreement for me to rent it - he didn't have a copy of the lease on him, and also there's still a bit of work to be done (new counters, then installing the appliances), but the space was exactly what I wanted - quiet side street but still close to stuff to do; outdoor decks but no yard maintenance; large kitchen and nice living room/dining area so I can cook (and eventually entertain if I make any friends here); and extra space so I can have an office. He's also a real estate agent and very graciously told me that if he sells me a house, he won't charge me for breaking my lease to move out of the apartment - that's not in the cards immediately, but I admire his hustle.

So, that was all fun, and I felt really good about finding a place. It may seem hasty to rent the first place that I saw...but this isn't my first trip to the apartment rental rodeo, and I'm pretty good at assessing a city's available inventory through deep, hours-long stalking of rental sites and property values.

Then, of course, I needed to go window shopping for furniture - I need to buy a bed and a couch as the first orders of business, so I spent some quality time exploring Boulder's mall scene (verdict: every store I need, and by that I mean there was a Sephora). Then I drove back to Denver and met up with Katie - we worked at another coffee shop, then checked out a jewelry shop that she loves before coming home.

But I didn't stay here all evening like I usually do - I ate some quesadillas with Katie and the girls, but then I drove to Littleton (a southern suburb) to go to a book reading/signing at Tattered Cover. My friend Sherry (whom I visited in Austin) was in town to talk about her latest book and do a signing, so I went to be supportive. Her talk was great, and I got a book signed by her before joining her and her literary agent and the agent's employees for dinner at a nearby Chinese/Japanese restaurant. So, that was super fun (and tasty)....but after getting back to Katie's at 10:30 and then talking to Katie and James until after eleven, and then stupidly browsing furniture sites until midnight, it's definitely time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: