Wednesday, September 06, 2017

colorado passes by like writing on a wall

I'm in Denver, safely ensconced in Katie's guest room, which has begun to feel like my room since I've been showing up here so regularly this summer. Sometime soon, I'll have my own place and she'll no longer be subjected to my presence...but let's not kid ourselves, I'll probably still come to her place for dinner and then end up spending the night anyway.

I woke up in North Platte this morning and was extremely loath to get in the car again, so I dawdled - I ate breakfast quickly, since the hotel breakfast wasn't particularly yummy (although their coffee was excellent), but then I sipped my coffee and wrote some emails, and so I didn't actually get out of North Platte until 10am. This was over an hour later than I'd intended, but it didn't really matter since I had no pressing plans.

The rest of Nebraska passed by in total boredom, although I had a bit of excitement wondering if I would run out of gas, since I had decided to press on and get gas at the westernmost Casey's that I know of rather than stopping when I should have. Casey's is a convenience store chain that is particularly beloved in Iowa (where it started), and has slowly been spreading its virtuous tentacles across the midwest. They also make the best convenience store pizza ever, for those of you who can still eat gluten. The westernmost Casey's that I've seen is in Ogallala, Nebraska - and I just checked the Casey's map, which indicates that Ogallala is tied with a small town in Kansas for westernmost Casey's.

This is of interest to none of you, so I'll move on. Spoiler: I didn't run out of gas.

Most of today's drive was through Colorado, which was also supremely uninteresting since I've made that trip several times. When I got close to Denver, I veered off and went to Boulder instead - I'm checking it out as a potential place to live (which is looking highly likely at this point), and I wanted to scope things out. After only a couple of hours there, I was in love - I had a nicoise salad while sitting in a restaurant overlooking a pedestrian shopping area, and the weather was perfect and everything was delightful (even the bluegrass buskers playing banjos and washboards on the sidewalk, which I normally don't love but was somehow into today). The only downer was the moment when, halfway into my salad, I had a sudden, intense fear that the pile of indeterminate shredded white matter was actually crab - but the waiter eventually told me that it was 'confetti eggs', which I've never heard of, but at least I didn't spend tonight throwing up everything I've ever eaten).

So, Boulder gets a big thumbs up - it actually reminds me a lot of Palo Alto/Berkeley, but with fewer Teslas and more potential for snow. I drove around a bit more after eating, then came to Denver, where I sat at Avanti and journaled until it was time to meet up with Katie. I got to her house before she did, and the nanny stupidly let me watch them until Katie got back, which meant that I let them draw all over themselves in an effort to buy their love.

Then we ate supper (delish pulled pork and sweet potatoes), and I made mojitos for me and Katie to enjoy in the basement while James got suckered into putting the girls to bed. And now I need to go to bed as well - goodnight!

No comments: