Monday, September 25, 2017

disco science

Today was one of those days when pretty much nothing went according to plan. It was always going to be a bad day when I said goodbye to Katie...not that I actually said goodbye, but last night was the last night I plan to spend at her place for the foreseeable future, so when I left this morning, I carted the last of my stuff out with me. We had one last coffee at Black Eye, and I'm going to miss that tradition...although it's probably for the best that I won't be back for awhile, since Katie loudly asked me how my rash was, so I'm probably dead to them.

After that, it all went moderately downhill. I made it to Boulder without any real issues, but when I got breakfast, I accidentally dumped my eggs and bacon back into the communal egg tray (then scooped it all back up without anyone seeing, but the eggs were contaminated), then oversalted them, so breakfast wasn't the joyous refueling that I'd hoped for. Then I had a meeting, and then I left to oversee my furniture delivery, which I was super excited about...

...until it turned out that the sleeper sofa wouldn't fit up the stairs. I'd had a sneaking suspicion after moving in that the staircase was going to be a problem, since there's a pole at the base and a beam on the ceiling right above it, and yes, that proved to be too insurmountable for the couch. Of course, I don't have a couch for the living room yet, so I had them put it in the living room instead (which was also an exercise in navigating a tight space - the rooms themselves are all great sizes, but the staircase/hall on both floors is going to be a moving problem). So it's not the end of the world, but it wasn't necessarily the couch I would have gotten for a living room, so I was a little unhappy about that.

[editor's note: I'm slightly less unhappy since I took a nap on it as a couch tonight, and am now sitting on the pull-out and it feels very comfy, so it'll be okay. but I was not happy earlier!]

sssanyway. Then I went back to the office, where I had a late lunch that was kinda disgusting, followed by a lot of meetings that I wasn't really in the right headspace to enjoy. I finished off by having dinner with a couple of my direct reports who are in town this week, and it was great (I had a v. tasty gluten free burger with green chile, which was awesome), and my team is great...but I probably should have skipped, since I'm reaching my introvert wall and I have a lot of extrovert tasks to get through before I get a break.

On the way home, I stopped at Whole Foods (note: 'the way home' is less than ten minutes and Whole Foods is on the way, which is amazing) to get some tea and coffee (the bare necessities), then came home and took a nap (vital), then spent the last three hours organizing and unpacking and generally trying to sort the things I have here so that it's not all quite such a disaster. And I made a list of all the things I need to do asap, and it was a v. v. v. long list, so I should probably go to bed and hope I can tackle some of it tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: