Monday, September 11, 2017

hey shorty, it's your birthday

It's my birthday! and also a national day of mourning. and also I went back to my former place of employment today (based in the Boulder office) - and by that I mean I took a job and am going through new hire orientation in a couple of weeks for the third time.

There's way more to that story, of course, but I'm tired after a day at the office, and I need to sleep. But I had a great first day and a great birthday - I got all dressed up and Katie took my picture like it was the first day of school, and then we grabbed coffee before I headed to Boulder. When I got to the office, I discovered that my friend Natasha (whom I told all this news to on Friday) had left a bottle of champagne and some birthday balloons on my desk, which made an odd complement to my new hire decorations. I met a bunch of people, had lunch with some teammates, ran into some old friends, etc., etc....

Then I peaced out and came back to Katie's. Katie was a super friend and bought a big gluten free cake and made homemade ice cream, and James grilled up a delicious steak, and the girls jumped and screeched and sang to me, and it was all totally delightful. This was the first time in forever that I neither cooked my own birthday feast nor organized the festivities, and I have to say, it was rather awesome. Of course, past festivities involved more wine and less screeching, but on the whole, this one was a winner.

But now I'm desperate for sleep - goodnight!

No comments: