Tuesday, September 26, 2017

i sprinkle holy water upon the vampire

I'm fairly exhausted, but at least today went much better than yesterday. I woke up sometime after seven, showered, dealt with the fact that I don't know where anything is, made it out the door at 8:15...and was still on time to my 8:30 meeting. This, my friends, is incredible. Granted, if I were still self-employed I wouldn't have to go to anything at 8:30, but compared to my previous stint in the corporate salt mines, the lack of commute is fairly magical.

Anyway, I spent the day mostly holed up in a series of conference rooms with the two managers who I will be managing - they're in Boulder to visit me this week, and we spent today doing all the usual updates, deep dives, planning, etc. Granted, we couldn't plan much since I'm two weeks in and don't know anything, but it was fun to pretend!

By the end of the day I was exhausted from thinking/talking too much, but I had to keep pressing on - we had a team dinner, which was only five people since the team is still growing here. We went to a place called Next Door, which was super yummy. Getting there was a hassle, since parking was terrible - I tried to park in a garage, but the car two cars ahead of me broke the entrance gate, and there were cars behind me at this point, so no one could back up. The attendant very blithely said they'd called someone and it would be five or ten minutes before they showed up...but that wasn't good enough for me, so I got out and examined the situation and convinced him to remove a stupid traffic cone from a lane so that we could back out and turn around there. He did that, which saved me and a few other cars (with difficulty - it wasn't an easy turn), but since no one at the top was stopping cars from coming in, I predict it became a total cluster. But I got out, which was #winning.

Then I went to dinner, which, as I said, was tasty - I had one of the best greek salads ever. The conversation was fun and I was enjoying myself, but rather than going shopping after, I came home and wrestled with my new mattress. It's an organic latex mattress (supposedly less carcinogenic since it isn't treated with the same flame-retardant chemicals as regular mattresses), and it shipped in three three-inch layers of latex, which had to be wrangled into a wool mattress cover. This was, as you can imagine, not an easy task...but I succeeded. And I tested the comfort by immediately taking a nap (so far so good!). But then I dragged myself downstairs and spent the last couple of hours working (no doubt at great cost to my phone plan, since I still don't have internet here and had to use my hotspot). And now it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: