Thursday, September 21, 2017

love and darkness and my sidearm

I was going to complain about the fact that I just had a 9:30-10pm meeting on my ninth day back in the office...but my first paycheck just deposited, which shut me up right quick, as they say. #getitgirl

Work continues to be good - I'm finding that I'm actually pretty curious/interested/engaged in the learning process around the new job and what I'll be responsible for, which is a rather wonderful development since I had a sneaking fear in the dark of night that I would have trouble reengaging under the yoke of corporate whoredom.

However, going back this time is different because I actually have very few preconceived notions of the product/work space I'm entering - it's all about communities and social support, which I have a lot of personal fascination with (writing an honors thesis about German resistance movements in WWII has surprisingly more to do with this job than you might have guessed, at least from an interest standpoint). Last time, I had more technical knowledge about books and publishing, and so I had very strong, very early opinions that shredded any semblance of a honeymoon period. This time, it's just fun to learn something new...and the fact that my new team seems pretty engaged. They made me a hardcover photo book about themselves as a welcome gift, which is so over the top that you have to love it.

So anyway. I spent the whole day in meetings, but I took a break around 3:30 to have coffee with an old friend (Jason, who I knew forever ago), and than I saw Vidya (aka Chandlord) at 4pm. Then I got in my car and spent over an hour driving the 17mi to Belmont, which was a great reminder why I moved away. I had dinner with the Shedletskys at Vivace - it was a delish Italian restaurant, and we had a delightful time catching up. But I had to leave earlier than I wanted to so that I could make it back for my late meeting - and now I must sleep so I can get up early and pack up and vacate my airbnb. Goodnight!

No comments: