Thursday, October 12, 2017

it's the sun that burns, it's the wheel that turns

It smells like death in Northern California - which is more accurate than I would wish to be, since the particulates in the air and the grim haze that hangs over our heads come from thousands of homes and an unknown number of lives lost. I'm a hundred miles from the fires, but the winds that are fanning the flames are also carrying the smoke south, so strongly that by this afternoon, even the inside of my well-insulated, well-purified office building smelled like a campfire. 2017 was already feeling apocalyptic, but adding visible death to the air certainly hasn't helped things.

sssanyway. I've stopped checking my favorite wineries' facebook pages for updates, since it's useless, superfluous, and also so fucking elite to care about the wineries at this point. But I've had so many great times in Napa, Sonoma, and Mendocino, and I hope enough survives that they can bounce back quickly....

sssanyway again. I had a long day that was completely full of meetings - I had fifteen free minutes from 9:00 to 4:30, which, it turns out, is not enough time to actually do any work. But my meetings were good, etc. After my calendar freed me from my bonds, I sat around and did actual work for a couple of hours, and then I adjourned to Shana Thai, where I had a solo date with some pad see ew and my bullet journal. This one is my work version, which is not nearly as colorful (yet - I'm waiting to show them the full extent of my madness) - but I went through my first few weeks' worth of notes and migrated important things forward, which really helped me to clarify my thoughts and priorities.

Yes, I've fallen headlong back into corporate whoredom. I expect this will die down once I get settled in Boulder and can develop more of a personal routine/life, but for now, I'm weirdly enjoying it.

And now I must sleep - goodnight!

No comments: