Saturday, October 07, 2017

the city that rocks, the city that never sleeps

I'm too tired to do the blog justice tonight. I didn't really want to see any humans at all after a week spent entirely in the company of other writers (this is not a bad thing, just the sad reality of what happens when I hit my introvert wall). But I took a dramamine to survive the car ride through the winding mountains, and then Grace and I dropped Tina off in Sacramento before continuing on to the bay area. Grace was v. kind and got me across the Golden Gate Bridge, but at that point traffic was clearly piling up, so I had her kick me to the curb and call me an uber so that I could get to my hotel.

When I got here I was beyond starving, so I had pad see ew at Lers Ros (note: the walk through three blocks of post-apocalyptic homeless wasteland is not great; also note to self: the pork and noodles were too greasy for my liking). Then I came back to the hotel and took a thirteen minute nap, which is all that saved me for the rest of the day. When I went downstairs to wait for my lyft, I got a high five from a homeless and/or extremely drunk man who encouraged me (and a nearby airporter shuttle) to stay single, which was a v. weird thing to be told by someone who is presumably not more of a catch than I am.

But I digress. I took a lyft to Lauren's (aka Subz's) - her baby is due any day now, and I made a joke in rather poor taste about putting my waterproof boots back on in case her water broke in the kitchen. It was great to see her, as always, and her son (who is now two) was quite happy to see me when it was clear that I wasn't there to babysit him.

Unfortunately, I had to leave before I wanted to - I had grand plans to meet Vidya (aka Chandlord) and Julie for a drink. We ended up at Doc Rickett's, where the wine was fine but the service was way too slow (I have a feeling it was a scheduling issue). We were joined there by Deano, Deano's subordinate (Jardin???), Vidya's friend Sri (2.0), and Tom (aka Tom Foolery). A delightful time was had by all, especially when Tom tried to speak to an airporter shuttle (better than the one parked right before it, which was covered in psychedelic paint).

But I was determined to stick to the original plan, so we eventually parted ways with the group, and Vidya, Sri and I ended up going down the street for pasta and burrata and wine. I could have kept going, of course, but I'm trying to 'listen to my body' or some shit and go to bed before I die. Goodnight!

No comments: