Sunday, October 22, 2017

whisky neat

I had a long day that began with a hangover and ended with creating the makings of another one. This is, in some ways, a real upgrade, since it means I have friends to hang out with, but my headache tomorrow may tell a different story.

I awoke at Katie's this morning after far too little sleep of far too low a quality - I blame my #fomo in terms of not wanting to lose any precious moment of her company, and also my unending quest for the best glass of red wine in the world. I got ready fairly quickly, said goodbye to Katie and her angelic host, and drove to the place where my pods were shipped so that we could unload them. It turns out that pod shipping (or, in this case, U-Pack container shipping) is the way to go - they got to Denver in less than three days, and when we opened them, we discovered that nothing had shifted at all on the move. So far I've discovered one casualty (a glass), but for a move of that duration after many months in storage, I'm please to discover that many of my tings are intact.

So the movers were with me from 8:45ish to 1:30, and they did an awesome job running boxes upstairs, getting my furniture set up, etc. They also ran into none of the issues that my couch delivery guys did - but it probably helped that they speak the same language and so are able to troubleshoot in advance to determine a strategy to get stuff into place.

When they were finished, I opened a couple of boxes and put a bunch of stuff in the dishwasher. I also realized I was super hungry, so I went to Modern Market and ate a salad; after that, I took a nap, took a shower, and then unpacked for another hour. All in all this move was super painless, and I'm looking forward to being out of day-to-day escalations so that I can focus on the real work at hand.

I stopped unpacking, though, because my friend Tomas was here exploring the city with his wife in anticipation of a possible future move. I'm obviously supportive of this, especially since it gives me exponentially more friends in the area, but I think they're loving it in their own right. We had a v. fancy dinner (set courses) at Black Cat, where we did the tasting menu and were overwhelmed woth food.

I would go into more detail, but I'm falling asleep - goodnight!

No comments: