Friday, December 29, 2017

he knows when you're awake

I haven't been in the mood to blog the last couple of nights...and even if I was in the mood, I was always falling asleep on my feet by the time I got to bed, which meant any post would have been nearly incoherent. The last couple of days have been delightful, with lots of playing and no work at all (although I need to do some writing-related work tomorrow for sure).

Tuesday was mostly a lazy recovery day after the holidays, and we played Codenames in the evening before I eventually played Civilization until very late. Yesterday I woke up and went to Des Moines, where I got some jewelry cleaned/checked and stocked up on bougie necessities (a case of wine to leave here for future trips, along with a bunch of stuff from Whole Foods). It was v. cold yesterday (like -4 when I left the house)...but that's nowhere near as cold as it's going to get this weekend. And then when I got home, we ate ham and scalloped potatoes and played Ticket to Ride ([censored] won, alas). And then I didn't play Civilization - instead, I stayed up talking to my dad until after one a.m. But then I played Civ until about three, which made for a very late night...

...which meant I didn't crawl out of bed until eleven this morning. I spent most of the afternoon hanging out in the kitchen with my mom, and I also made chocolate chip chewies - I haven't made them in forever, but I still remember the recipe by heart, and they turned out perfectly even with gluten free flour. We had tasty beef and mashed potatoes for supper, and then we were going to play a game, but everyone seemed to be falling asleep instead...except for me, and so I (you guessed it) played Civilization.

The Civ marathon will end soon enough, though - it's a good end-of-year palate cleanser, but I'm starting to itch to accomplish something meaningful (like writing a book, or at least journaling regularly again; or cooking tasty paleo things; or getting deep into financial planning; or any number of other things that don't involve playing Civ). But now it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: