Thursday, December 07, 2017

i been up all night, no sleep

I need to go to bed immediately - happily, it's my bed in Boulder for the next few days, not a bed in some other city (aka the city I actually had a bed in for ten years). I woke up this morning at 5:30am after less than six hours of sleep, which was a v. unwelcome start to the day - but I made it to the airport in time to have my favorite Mexican breakfast, so I guess it was okay. I spent the first part of the flight sleeping and the second part working, as per usual. When I got to Denver, I grabbed a coffee to keep me going, and then drove to the office, where I made it with two minutes to spare for a meeting (yes, that felt v. jetsetter; no, my life really isn't very glamorous).

But I only had one meeting, and then I promptly left the office to go to a team offsite. There are only five of us in Boulder right now, so it was the perfect-sized cozy group to go out for high tea. We went to the Boulder Teahouse, which was, oddly enough, built in Tajikistan, disassembled there, shipped here, and reassembled - which made for a really interesting space. The food, though, was all traditional British teastuffs (although they had a v. excellent chai). The gluten free options were pretty decent, and the company was great (made even more great by a glass of sparkling wine, of course). It was a really fun way to spend a couple of hours, and definitely far more relaxing than spending the rest of the afternoon in meetings.

After that, I wandered around Pearl Street for awhile - I verified that there is a paper/pen/ink store here that is more than qualified to fill my needs (but I didn't buy anything, which is so shocking that I have to point it out). I did, however, buy overpriced mittens that are more suited for skiiers than jetsetters - my body is not ready for these below-freezing temperatures. And then I came home, turned the heat up (it was set to 58 and it was actually 58 when I walked in, which is different than past trips, where it warmed up enough during the day to prevent such shenanigans), huddled under a blanket while waiting for the heat to kick in, and inadvertently took a nap.

But eventually I had to do some work, so I did, and now I'm realizing I should have gone to bed an hour ago. "Should Have Gone To Bed An Hour Ago: The Sara Wampler Story" is probably the name of my memoir. Goodnight!

No comments: