Sunday, December 24, 2017

south city midnight lady

Merry Christmas Eve! Today was lovely, but it lasted a v. long time - I woke up at 9:45am solely because I had set my alarm (playing Civilization last night was not the best idea from a sleep standpoint....nor from an addiction standpoint, since I haven't played in years and yet right now *all* I want to do is open the game even though it's one a.m. and I need to sleep immediately). I spent the morning drinking some coffee and then helping to get ready for Christmas Eve dinner (you might call it lunch) - vacuuming, peeling potatoes, wrapping a couple of presents, etc.

My sister, two of her three kids, and my great-niece and great-nephew showed up shortly before 2pm. We had a delish turkey dinner with all the usual trimmings (green bean casserole, corn casserole, deviled eggs, mashed potatoes and gravy, spinach salad, five cup salad, apricot jello salad, etc) courtesy of my mother, who put in way more effort than was necessary, although it was v. much appreciated. We eventually opened gifts, and eventually it was time for Zane and his fiancee to leave, followed eventually by Sammi and her fiance and her two kids (Jaicee is eight, cute, and totally a handful; Thompson is seven weeks old, slept the whole time, and was quite cuddly).

But Jackie stayed super late - Allie had to work in Des Moines today and didn't get to our house until 7:45pm, which was two hours after her siblings left. I spent some of that intervening time drying dishes and watching '60 Minutes' (CBS programming at its finest), and also talking to Jackie...and when Allie showed up, we hung out for a few hours. But by 10:30 it was definitely time for them to leave, since I still had many packages to wrap and not nearly enough time/energy for them.

But the wrapping is now done, and even though I really want to play Civ, I am going to try to resist temptation and go to bed - goodnight!

No comments: