Monday, February 12, 2018

it's the most wonderful time of the year

I stayed up too late last night, so this morning was difficult - but I dragged myself out of bed and managed to write for half an hour, so it could have been worse. Then I spent the day slogging away - not enough task-based work since I had a training all afternoon, but it was work nonetheless.

However, the evening was super fun - two of my team are visiting from Mountain View, so we all went out for a drink to celebrate their presence. We went to Rayback Collective, which was surprisingly wonderful - and also surprisingly crowded. It was a Monday, so we were expecting no one, but they were doing some event to help people choose their CSAs (community-supported ag, which basically means subscribing to a farm and eating turnips for a couple of months every year while nothing else is in season). The conversation turned out to be delightful - and we also went waaaay deep on pet death, which is unusual in mixed company (where 'mixed' equals farm kids + city kids). Shockingly, I didn't have the worst story of the night - that went to a woman whose pet turtle was named 'Scapey' because he always tried to escape, until her dad drilled a hole in his shell and tied him to a turtle-shaped Fisher Price sandbox. That really puts the deaths of our possum kitties into perspective, amirite?

sssanyway. After drinks, Andrea and Aga (the visitors from MTV) and I went for a late dinner at The Kitchen. It was v. nearly perfect - the atmosphere was great, with lots of coziness and brick, and we had some v. delish fries and a pork chop that would have seemed perfect if I hadn't just had the ultimate perfect pork chop on Saturday. But it was a lovely way to end the evening, even if I'm now totally behind on both work and Olympics without any chance of catching up.

But that's a problem for tomorrow - now I need to sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: