Thursday, August 31, 2017

don't put your blame on me

I had a lovely day in ye olde Iowa. The morning was consumed by a) going down a wikipedia rabbit hole on genetics, which started by looking up coelacanths (it's a fish - there, I saved you an hour), and b) making bolognese sauce. My bolognese sauce takes multiple hours - first, an hour or more of cooking veggies and hamburger and milk and wine and spices to reach the right mix, and then six or eight hours in the slow cooker to meld it all together. So I got the actual work part of it done around noon, and then I did the dishes, showered, and ate a v. quick sandwich before proceeding with the second half of my day....

...which involved picking up my car (I got the water pump replaced, yay), then taking my mom on an adventure to two towns north of us. The first stop was a greenhouse, where she perused the remnants of their summer plants and bought a couple of things. The second was Indianola, where I canceled a post office box I'd gotten there for writing stuff - I never get anything, and since I'm leaving next week and may not be back until Christmas, I figured it made sense to cancel it now. While there, we saw a car that had just lost its entire front passenger wheel, so I was feeling v. smug about doing my preventative maintenance before suffering such disasters.

Then we drove home (Indianola is an hour away, which is slightly inconvenient) and ate the bolognese sauce with some gluten free spaghetti. Mom also made garlic bread with gluten free bread, so that was a yummy accompaniment. My dad had been gone all day, but he got back in time for supper, so we enjoyed it while hate-watching King of Queens (no, wait, it's Kevin Can Wait, but I still hate it). Then we watched Big Brother (our hometown boy well and truly screwed himself, and he deserves to go home for it), and then watched Zoo, and now I need to sleep so I can get some stuff done tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: