Sunday, August 20, 2017

make the waters come and wash me away

Today was a v. typical Sunday in #smalltownlife. I woke up around 9:30, which was an hour and a half later than I intended, but still early enough to throw on some clothes and go into town with my dad to see my grandma. She is the same as always (alive, unable to remember five seconds ago), but as always, I'm glad I went to see her.

Then we came home and my dad made breakfast for all of us. We ate and talked and generally enjoyed ourselves. Meanwhile, I was engaging in a bit of rapacious capitalism - when I ordered eclipse glasses for the family, I discovered that the best option was to get a pack of 25 direct from the manufacturer. Of course, we don't need 25 - so with [censored]'s help, I sold a bunch of them. We save a couple for my niece, and gave a couple to [censored]'s friends [censored], who came out and visited for awhile with their adorable daughter [censored] (who calls [censored] "[censored]", which [censored] hates, but is on the same level as 'Auntie Wamp', which is Ian's name for me, so [censored] will hopefully get over it).

But we ended up selling enough at $4 apiece to cover the cost of the glasses + most of the food I picked up for tomorrow, so this was a v. worthwhile endeavor (especially since they cost me $1 apiece). I was afraid the bottom would fall out of the market this afternoon since the forecast isn't looking good, but we'll see what happens.

We spent the evening getting ready for tomorrow's eclipse outing, eating supper (brats, scalloped potatoes, baked beans), and playing a game of Ticket to Ride (which I won handily). And now I need to sleep so that we can get on the road in the morning - goodnight!

No comments: