Wednesday, September 27, 2017

i need a break and i want to be a paperback writer

Today was a long day in the corporate salt mines - all good, for the most part, although lunch was a sad sandwich (yes, I'm already complaining about the free food, even though they randomly showed up with chili in the middle of the afternoon). I slogged hard from nine to six, and could have kept going...

...but everyone else had already left my area, so I threw in the towel and engaged in some retail therapy. I really needed a break tonight from everything related to work and moving, so I went full #treatyoself - I got a new pair of uggs for Tahoe, and some more moisturizers at Sephora (I'm thus far avoiding looking like the cryptkeeper, but it's a constant battle), and it all made me feel moderately more relaxed. Then I talked to [censored], who helped me strategize about [censored], so that was good.

And then I went full-on into my old SF life and found a French brasserie, where I had steak and fries and a glass of red wine while writing for the first time in two months. The place couldn't hold a candle to my beloved, dearly-departed Des Amis (#neverforget), but it felt so fucking good to sit there and observe people and scribble notes in my journal. It was exactly the mental break I needed to unwind tonight so that I can get some good work done tomorrow and then abandon it all for Tahoe and a much-deserved writing trip.

But now I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: