Saturday, September 23, 2017

say it ain't so, i will not go, turn the lights off, carry me home

Apologies for not blogging last night - by the time I was ready to blog, it was actually this morning, and I needed to eke out whatever sleep I was capable of before boarding a plane.

You can guess, therefore, that yesterday was eventful. I got up earlier than I wanted to so that I could finish packing, check out of my airbnb, and return my rental car to the San Jose airport. I was supposed to fly out of there last night, which would have meant dropping off the car in the afternoon - but since my plans changed, it made sense to drop it off before work. But my diligence was rewarded with tostadas for breakfast in the work cafeteria, so I felt pretty smug about that.

Then I sat in meetings all day (two weeks in and my life has returned to meetings), took care of some tings, and caught the 3:48pm shuttle to the city. It took almost two hours to get there, which proves, once again, why I don't live there anymore. But I went to Vidya's and promptly forgot my pain, thanks to red wine and thai food (although I had to walk four blocks downhill and then four blocks very much uphill for the thai food, so that gave me a different kind of pain (or mostly whininess)).

Chandlord was having a party last night, which was why I rescheduled my flight - it seemed like the kind of thing I needed to be there for. The early arrivals at the party were inauspicious (a bunch of people I either didn't know or didn't particularly care to see), but things picked up dramatically after we went outside and lit things on fire. And by that I mean she had a firepit, and so someone started a fire, and then others' attempts to keep it going mostly resulted in lots of smoke, which got into everything all of us were wearing.

But I made some v. entertaining new connections (in particular, a couple who climb stupidly high mountains; a guy named Adam; and Sarang's boyfriend). I also spent some quality time with key players (Santy Claude; Adit and Priyanka). And we had a v. delightful time in Chandlord's back yard until eleven, when we adjourned to Yamasho for 2+ hours of private-room karaoke, which wrecked my voice and my body (even though I was surprisingly sober for such a series of events).

Anyway, we rocked out (yes, I sang Nickelback, #noregrets), then I went back to Chandlord's house and slept fitfully for a few hours. But I had to get up relatively early since I had a 10:45am flight back to Denver. Chandlord very graciously took me to the airport, and I got through security with enough time to have a proper breakfast, which was probably all that saved me.

When I got to Denver, I drove to Boulder first to check out my apartment and retrieve that packages that were delivered there today. I unloaded some more stuff from my car, contemplated what I need to get, and was pleasantly surprised to find that my landlord had left a welcome gift (probably his standard starter kit for people who buy homes through him - toilet paper, paper towels, a bottle of wine, a wine opening kit, and a hummingbird feeder) - which was super thoughtful, especially since I didn't just spend a million dollars with him.

Then I stopped at REI to buy a jacket since it's suddenly cold here and I will also be freezing in Tahoe next week. Then I drove back to Katie's, since I'm staying here tonight - I picked up food for myself along the way so that I don't seem like quite such a deadbeat, and then spent the evening watching 'Aladdin' and drinking champagne. Yes, we're living the dream.

But now I'm desperate to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: