Tuesday, October 05, 2004

information travels faster in the modern age

Today was great for a workday--Vidya Chander came to lunch, which was v. fun. We ate tasty food, and talked about fun stuff, and then I went back to work. She was happy to come to work on a day when I would not have anything more exciting to write about, since she thought she would get forgotten too easily if I hung out with people this evening. However, my evening was pretty good too--I had a nice long conversation with Emily while she was commuting home (yay!) and then worked for a couple of hours. While working, I watched some 'Surreal Life', and more importantly the first part of VH1's documentary 'And You Don't Stop: 30 Years of Hip Hop.' It's pretty educational; I don't know anything about the beginnings of hiphop, since I grew up in the wilds of Iowa without cable and with parents whose musical exploration stopped sometime around 1978. Well, that's not entirely true--my dad likes listening to the radio now and combining all the songs into one long song with slightly questionable words. But hip hop never really made it into my house.

Wow, and did anyone watch 'The Daily Show' tonight? Archbishop Desmond Tutu, in the five minutes that he was on, was absolutely amazing. He had such a great sense of humor--I love people who can laugh, genuinely and heartily. More importantly, he has such a large amount of compassion and understanding. Now I want to read his book...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I SAW DESMOND TUTU ON THE DAILY SHOW! HE MADE ME GIGGLY!

Anonymous said...

wait, did that comment even get on? this is vidya by the way. i don't know how this works. im trying to google the name "sara wampler" a few times a day, so that someone might see it at work on the large boards that show randomly selected ongoing google searches.

i saw desmond tutu last night on the daily show and he made me giggly. i like him too.