Sunday, September 10, 2006

yes i am spectacular

Sorry for the hiatus--I've been busy, and therefore tired, and therefore not willing to forsake an extra ten minutes of sleep at the end of a hectic day in order to blog about said day. I should be going to bed immediately, but I felt like writing, and the constant urge to blog finally superseded the equally-constant urge to sleep.

I'm gearing up for my party tomorrow; my shopping list included:

3 pints sour cream
3 8oz. packages cream cheese
2 cans whole-kernal corn
2 cans creamed corn
2 boxes jiffy cornbread mix
3 packages butter
2 packages chocolate chips
2 10oz. packages frozen spinach
1 can crushed pineapple
5 lbs. hamburger
miracle whip
white bread
hamburger buns
Bisquick
strawberries
half and half
4 dozen eggs
10 lbs. potatoes
1 funfetti cake mix
1 container funfetti frosting
bacon
1 can pork and beans
instant onion
mustard seed
ketchup
more ketchup
1 container of Cool Whip
lemon, lime, and orange jello

If you recognize all the fixin's for a true Midwestern feast, you would be correct, and you deserve a chocolate chip chewie (there's plenty of those here--I baked two batches tonight). I went grocery shopping at 10pm last night to avoid a) the crowds and b) the judgmental stares of the well-heeled residents of my neighborhood, who would probably look askance at my heart-attack-inducing cart o' goodies while they stood in line with their fresh vegetables and their skinless chicken and their classy bottles of white wine. They don't know what they're missing--today, I churned out ~8lbs. of potato salad, 36 boiled eggs (which I'll turn into deviled eggs tomorrow), a funfetti cake, two batches of chocolate chip chewies, 5lbs. of maidrites (aka sloppy joes), and a Jello salad that looks like the Indian flag. I also cleaned my room, cleaned my living room, kept up with the endless dishes produced by my cooking frenzey, and did three loads of laundry. And, I went to the mall and bought a vase and some makeup, and stopped on the way home to buy flowers for my living room. All in all, it was a productive day, so things should be okay tomorrow, although there's still a bit left to do--I have to go back to the store to procure ice, beverages, and more ketchup and butter; make spinach/artichoke dip, strawberry shortcake, baked beans, and corn casserole; clean my bathroom; clean my patio; clean up the remnants of stuff in the kitchen; and make myself look presentable for my danged friends. That means it's bedtime, or else I'll sleep 'til noon and not get everything done.

I am glad that I'm celebrating my birthday tomorrow, though--it looks like Monday promises to be frustratingly somber, as I expected the fifth anniversary of 9/11 to be. I may just switch my birthday permanently to the 10th; I celebrated last year on the 10th, and the scavenger hunt in Hyderabad was one of the best birthdays ever. Hopefully tomorrow will live up to my wildly-inflated expectations. Goodnight!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soon to be 25 and all growed up, just like Paris Hilton!

While Bay area meat cutters may not be familiar with "tenderloin" as you know it, they may be familiar with boneless pork loin or boneless breakfast pork chops. They can be cut one quarter to one inch thick, tenderized by the butcher or pounded out by you with a meat mallet.

Slater

Anonymous said...

Make that one quarter to one HALF inch thick in prior post.

Emily said...

Happy Party, sweet Jane. It's going to be awesome. And probably super amazing, too.

I support your birthday change decision - maybe you could petition to have it changed on your birth certificate?

Anonymous said...

Want to be the first of the family to tell you to have a good "pretend" birthday party and to wish you a Happy 25th Birthday on the 11th.

As for your shopping list for the party those people dont have a clue as to what excellant midwestern food they are missing. Plus the fact that everyone must die from something so if it is going to be "death by food" what a way to go.

See you soon!

Anonymous said...

oh wamp- your bday is probably my favorite thing in the world. you. bdays. food. horrible horrible jokes.
i miss you like crazy.
you coming to chicago anytime soon?
hope it was fabulous & that you have a great day...
love,
ritu