Tuesday, November 27, 2012

she's deceiving me, she cuts my security

I'm going to take the unprecedented step of going to bed at eleven (11:30, more likely, by the time I finish this and get ready for bed) so that I can get up early to shower. Crazy, I know. We don't have to leave for the airport that early, but due to some construction shenanigans and frozen pipes that I won't get into, it seems that half the county is coming to our house at seven a.m. to tap into our water supply and fill the tanks on their trucks. This shit doesn't happen in my lovely Marina apartment complex. sssanyway, it hasn't impacted me while I've been here since a) I don't get up at seven and b) the number of trucks was much lower yesterday, before the other pipe froze. But the day it will impact me is the day I need to get ready to go to the airport...and since I would like to shower before leaving, I suppose I should get up.

Now that I've bored you with that, I must say that I'm glad I overslept this morning. I woke up at ten, but messed around with work stuff and packing and didn't go upstairs until twelve, where I immediately discovered that the dishwasher was missing. I thought about tiptoeing back downstairs and pretending that I was dead, since I was pretty sure a missing dishwasher was catastrophic, but my mother caught me, so I stuck around to hear her tale of woe. Not only did everyone and their mother show up to take water this morning, thus interrupting her laundry/bathing/dishwashing routine, but she walked into the kitchen later to discover the dishwasher pouring water out onto the floor. Luckily she was here to notice it and my dad was here to shut off the water/electricity and pull the dishwasher out before it caused any damage, but still - now she has to do dishes by hand, which is traumatic when she's even more OCD about dishes than I am and can't stand having them on the counter for any length of time. I realize I'm turning into her - you don't need to remind me.

So after hearing that, I ate some leftover turkey (which probably poisoned me), talked to my mom, and helped her get the rest of her Christmas decorations out (I don't have any in California because I have observed that it's like syphilis, and once I get the Christmas decorating bug, I will be stuck with it and it will eventually eat my brain). Then I was going to write, but a great documentary called MY LIFE AS A TURKEY was on PBS, and I wanted to see it. It was well worth watching - some dude spent a year and a half raising a bunch of wild turkeys from incubation until they left him, barely seeing other humans and spending all his time pretending to be their mother. It was pretty intense, particularly at the end when they all left him through death, abandonment, or fighting. He's now living with some mule deer in Wyoming, so I look forward to another movie someday.

Eventually I did get some writing done, and then had supper with my parents before watching some fine CBS programming (NCIS and NCIS:LA for those of you who don't know the CBS schedule). And now I must sleep - I will be back in San Francisco tomorrow night, if fate allows me to return to that evil city. Goodnight!

No comments: