Sunday, November 06, 2016

squirting for broccoli

I have discovered a new mathematical equation: (6 bourbon cocktails) = (point at which I text [censored] and tell him that I [censored]). To add a footnote, the sixth cocktail was served in a pint glass, which was really overkill.

As you may have guessed from that, Ritu and I had a great girls' night out tonight. Today was a really lowkey, lazy day - she didn't get home from her hospital shift until four a.m. (new time), and I had writing to do, so our mornings were spent somewhat separately. I tried to get up early and failed, but I rallied and put on pants and went to Peets, where I wrote for three solid hours and made some good progress. Then Ritu swung by, and we took a lyft to Barcelona (the amazing tapas restaurant, not the city that would be impossible to reach in a lyft). She and I had been there with Bill in May, and it's a great scene for brunch - my cocktail there was nice (although I was v. self-controlled and only had one), and the dishes were to die for (especially the steak and eggs and the spanish tortilla).

Then we came home, and I took a time out to send an email to my editor with the current half-finished draft of my book. Then I showered, talked to my parents, and almost got sucked in to an awful dance movie...but instead, Ritu and I rallied and went out for the night (where we treated tonight like the Saturday night we didn't have).

Our first stop was reached by taking a lyft with an incredibly weird, over-chatty driver who had apparently had every career in Boston over the past thirty years, but c'est la vie. Then we went to Drink, where we had two drinks each. Drink is a cocktail bar where they don't have a drinks menu and just ask you to give them a flavor profile to build the drink - this is a great idea in theory, but in practice I have trouble describing exactly what I like in a drink, and also they basically were just making classic/obscure cocktails and claiming they'd made them up. Or maybe they didn't claim they made them up, but that was the vibe I got.

Still, it was a great place to hang out for a couple of hours, even if my first bourbon cocktail (a 1794, apparently) was a little too bitter for my tastes, and the second (a Remember the Maine, which is great for the name alone) really didn't need absinthe. But the fries were awesome and the deviled eggs with bacon on top were the bomb dot com, so #noregrets.

Then we went to Sarma, which I'd been to with Ritu and Bill before - it's Mediterranean tapas, so I joked that we were having our eighteenth appetizer of the day there. The food was truly outstanding - the baked feta was one of the best things I've ever had, and the duck was perfectly cooked, and it was all incredible. My bourbon cocktails there were even better than the ones. So all in all, it was a great, crazy weekend and I also got a lot of work done - I'm going to call it a success. Goodnight!

No comments: