Wednesday, January 25, 2006

when pessimism fails and my cooler head prevails

It's time for a vote: should I buy a Nintendo DS? It's the next-generation Gameboy, althought it's been out for over a year and so is no longer the 'next hot thing'. The last Gameboy I had, for reference, was purchased as added incentive to convince me and my brother to go to Ukraine, and it's now widely agreed that we got seriously ripped off. Since I'm now facing a similar upheaval (pending the tying of a few remaining loose ends), it seems quite understandable that I would want a Gameboy to accompany me on this journey. The flipside is that perhaps I should grow up and not play video games--or that I should use my spare time to work/see things/write my romance novel. Your opinion on this matter is greatly appreciated.

In other news, my brother obviously got my obscure reference in the previous post; I don't know what he referenced in the comment, but I'm going to guess a Nelson DeMille book...maybe 'Spencerville'? For those of you who didn't get my reference, it was from 'The Ox Cart Man.' It's perhaps the finest children's book ever written, even though it's rather boring when you get right down to it--but regardless of the book, it may well be the best 'Reading Rainbow' episode ever made. LeVar gets to go to some colonial town and watch all sorts of interesting things, up to and including a demonstration of how people used to toast their bread using a cool iron implement that they placed near the edge of the fire. I highly recommend the book and the episode, although I think the toasting method leaves something to be desired.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah ha! The Wamp stumped you on his last post. Have you ever heard of The Crickets? How about Buddy Holly? The song goes something like... Don't tell me that love hurts. I read the book...I saw the movie...Got the tee shirt...!

Can't wait for 08!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh! It was Spencerville. I got wrapped up with the song and missed the question.

Can't wait for 08

Anonymous said...

An alternative for your consideration: a one year subscription to audible.com.

f...... said...

I totally remember that episode of Reading Rainbow. That fire-side toasting implement simply facsinated me.

One brillant thing about Cambridge Public Television is that they air old episodes of Square One Television. Remember "8% of My Love?"

Anonymous said...

That was the coolest Reading Rainbow episode - I was enthralled, but then I was the kid who forced my brothers to dress up in overalls and play "olden days" which was a ridiculous game of my own invention. It involved the wearing of bonnets and aprons and lots of dirt if I remember correctly.

Also I vote for the romance novel over the gameboy, but this is purely personally motivated :-D.