Wednesday, July 26, 2006

there's no blame for how our love did slowly fade

I'm freakin' tired, but things are good. I've nearly recovered from the awful sunburn that I acquired in Emeryville, and the pain no longer wakes me up at night, which is a definite improvement over Sunday and Monday night. I went to Crate and Barrel tonight, which is a good way to blow lots of money; the guy there actually suggested that I get a part-time job there so that I can get 30% off. A part of me seriously considered it, except I don't know how I would swing a part-time job on top of the equivalent of two full-time jobs that I already work for my current employer. Sigh.

Anyway, I got a teapot at Crate and Barrel that I've wanted for over a year; when I gave Claude my old teapot (a blue ceramic one) upon my move to Dublin, I was fully aware that my motivation was only partially altruism--I recognised that I would need to replace the teapot when I returned, and I could replace it with the cool clear glass teapot that I'd had my eye on for months. Clever me! I also purchased an egg platter to hold my devilled eggs in all their glory, since it drives me nuts to serve eggs on a plate that allows them to slide around. Yes, I'm compulsive.

Finally, I tried to order patio furniture, which turned into some drama; the chairs are available but the table is backordered, and I could get it all shipped from the warehouse for $70 when the table arrives at the warehouse, but it could take up to a month. Meanwhile, they said that they had the table and chairs in stock in the Palo Alto store (which is where I was), but I have no way to get those items to my apartment on my own. So, we spent ten minutes discussing various schemes, and I'm going to call my moving company tomorrow to see if my move can include a stop at Crate and Barrel. Then, they went back to the storeroom to verify availability, and it turns out that some bastard has a hold placed on their last two tables and all ten of their chairs. He's apparently had the hold for longer than they would normally allow, so I'm hoping that they'll call him tomorrow and tell him that he has to give them up, so that then I'm back to the problem of transportation rather than the problem of backordering.

It's funny that I'm trying to furnish a place that I don't have any time to see, but I think I would spend more time there if I had internet and the ability to cook and someplace to sit other than my air mattress. The movers are coming on Sunday (or earlier if other availability opens up), and then my life can get back on track. Yay! Just in time for my trip to India...I leave in sixteen days. Now it's time to go home and go to bed; goodnight, everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Mark says: Your cousin here does not like deviled eggs. We could have gotten you an egg plate at a farm sale or household auction for fifty cents or a dollar.