Thursday, December 14, 2006

chemicals all rushing through my bloodstream

Today was one of those nice little days that surprises you by being so nice, when you had little expectation for them other than some boring gloom. I went to work, of course, and worked in the morning. Then, I had a lovely break for lunch with my friend Alaska Matt; we have fantastic lunches together, probably because he is more than a little crazy himself (must have been all those winters with no sunlight), and so I feel free to be crazy with him in a way that I'm not usually crazy at work. I offended him the last time we had lunch by comparing him to Jack Black, but I will take the fact that he accepted this week's invitation as an indication that he's still okay with me. I regaled him with my stories of Amsterdam (the stripper/sex-show part, not the hatred and despair part) since he is planning a trip there, and fun was had by all.

I worked more in the afternoon, and left around five p.m. to come home and prepare for my tea party. Vidya had sent an email a week ago inviting herself and Claudius over to my place for lemon cake--I like guests who are decisive enough to invite themselves over, invite other people to come along, and set a time and a food. Brilliant! So I had already made the cake last night--and I must say it wasn't one of my finest efforts. I mean, it was fine, but it wasn't as ridiculously moist as it usually is, so I'm going to have to try again sometime. But, I came home and made potato-leek soup and did a quick-and-dirty straightening of things around the apartment so that I wouldn't look like a total slob by the time they showed up, and I was mostly successful. And the soup, as usual, was delicious--it's so easy, other than the time-consuming bit of peeling and dicing the potatoes, and so incredibly good. We sat around and did nothing but watch 'Scrubs' and 'Top Chef', which was fun. I also convinced them to watch five minutes of 'King Arthur'. The sad thing was that both of them had paid to see it with me in the theatre, back when people still used to see movies with me, before they all decided that I have terrible taste and shunned me forevermore. That was around the summer of 2004, if I recall correctly. Anyway, the only good part of the movie was this scene where they have a fight on a big lake covered in ice. So Claude said that she would watch a few minutes tonight only if it was the ice scene--and when she flipped the channel, it *was* the ice scene. Victory! I pointed out how sad it would be if it turned out that we only get three wishes in life, and that she had randomly used one of hers on this movie, but I don't think that's true. It was great for me, though, since I got to see a brief snippet of the movie that I still get mocked for virtually every time I go to a movie now.

And that, my friends, is all. After Claude left, Vidya and I sat together on the couch and worked for awhile; she went to sleep on my couch [she lives in SF but works in San Jose, so it made sense for her to sleep here and go directly to work tomorrow] and I worked in my bedroom until ~1:15am. Now I desperately need to go to bed so that I can get up tomorrow morning. But before that, shout-out to Ritu - I hope that all is well and we can see each other in Iowa. Goodnight!

No comments: