Monday, December 18, 2006

come sail away with me

You know it's Christmas when the Corona commercial with the light-bedecked palm tree and the whistled version of 'O Tannenbaum' is showing. They've been using that commercial for at least ten years; it's almost become a traditional part of the Christmas season.

I had a decent day at work; we had our Christmas exchange this afternoon, and thanks to some stern rules, no one brought store-bought cookies, which means that I didn't have to exchange my chocolate chip chewies for Oreos or Chips Ahoy. Yay! After work, I came home and hung out with Claudia (who agreed that Vidya could call her 'Santa Claude' between Halloween and Christmas; I thought this was an excessive length of time, but I kind of like it in this week leading up to Christmas). Claudia brought smoked salmon, a cucumber, and an avocado, so we had delicious sammiches, followed by tea and random cookies.

The highlight of the evening, though, was the History Channel's hour-long investigation into 'UFOs of the Bible.' It wasn't as good as 'The Search for John the Baptist' (chronicled here), but it was pretty sweet. Basically, they had a bunch of 'UF-Ologists' to discuss how every apparition of angels was actually a UFO. Claude and I had fun making fun of the idiots, particularly the guy who was listed as a 'Presbyterian minister/author', but was wearing the same collar as the Catholic priests, which I'd never seen on a Presbyterian. How can you be a minister if you claim that Elijah was abducted by aliens? Anyway, the best part of this was that in the middle of the episode, an unexpected knock came on my door. It turned out to be a pair of missionaries trying to convert me! I was unusually rude and didn't let them in or even really talk to them. Mostly, it would have been so weird for them to see that I was watching 'UFOs of the Bible'--I never would have been able to get rid of them after that!

Claude hung out for a bit longer, then left; I'm now watching 'Scrubs', and am going to paint my fingernails, let them dry, and then go to bed. I have a conference call at the brutal hour of seven a.m. tomorrow, which could very well kill me, so I should go to bed!

Lastly, but not leastly, happy birthday to my mother (aka Jeannie-baby)! And, happy birthday to Vidya (aka Vidius Chandicus)! You share a birthday with Brad Pitt, which makes December 18 infinitely better than, say, September 11 :(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the birthday greeting. Thought I should mention that Dec. 18 is also the birthday of Milo Bettis and Marcella Cobb who turned 77 and 78 respectively. A warm happy birthday wish to Vidya! Hope your birthday was great!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mrs. Wampler (Wampy Wampersen)! Same to you!