Wednesday, June 11, 2008

chronicles of jhokes

Sorry for not blogging the past couple of days -- although if you aren't a frequent reader, you would never notice, so perhaps I shouldn't acknowledge my failings.

The past couple of days have been mostly uneventful. I printed out all 392 pages of the first draft of my romance novel and am currently reading it, making a comprehensive outline, and deciding what needs to be rewritten/polished/researched/etc. I played a lot of Wii. I ate some delicious Midwestern food, courtesy of my mother, who made fried chicken last night and chicken and noodles (which you must put on top of mashed potatoes, creating instant carb overload that's oh-so-delicious).

Today was slightly more productive. I promised Michael nearly a month ago that we would see 'Prince Caspian' together, and he called me on my promise this week. I had an appointment at the Toyota dealership in Des Moines to get a 15,000 mile checkup, so we drove my car to the dealer, used their shuttle service to get to the movie theatre, and watched the movie before picking up the car and coming home. Overall, I give the movie a fairly enthusiastic thumbs up, although I've never quite gotten over C.S. Lewis's whole 'Susan paid too much attention to lipsticks and nylons and so loses her entire family and doesn't get to go to Narnia' thing at the end of the series. It will be interesting to see how many more of these they make; I could see 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' being great, but am iffy on 'The Silver Chair', slightly less iffy on 'The Horse and His Boy', completely against 'The Magician's Nephew', and can't see how they can make 'The Last Battle' particularly successfully. Anyway, this movie was great if you like tales of heroic feats and battles, which I do, even if the heroes are mostly underage.

Now I should really go to bed; time is quickly running out in Iowa and there is much to accomplish!

No comments: