Monday, June 30, 2008

somewhere between the soul and soft machine is where i find myself again

I'm in Cheyenne, Wyoming, a town that I'm all too familiar with from previous cross-country roadtrips. I didn't leave home until almost eleven, but I made reasonable time, and got here at 9:20pm Mountain time. That included several stops for drinks, food, bathroom breaks (note: at work people started calling them 'bio breaks', which is one of my pet peeves -- we're not taking a break to study biology, we're taking a break to go to the bathroom, so call it what it is!). I stopped for supper in Ogallala, and waved in the general direction of Grant, Nebraska, where my dad went to kindergarten. I also shook my fist at the PayPal offices outside of Omaha, which was the only exciting thing that happened for several hours. Nebraska is a torturous drive -- and I think they're trying to up the possibility of catching out-of-state motorists for speeding and giving them hefty fines, since it seemed like half the state had 'road work in progress' signs up, with slower speed limits and double fines. The funny thing was that there were only a couple of places where there was actually visible work going on; in most of the zones, there were some traffic cones, but not a soul to be seen.

So the drive is going well, but I should go to bed; I have to be in Salt Lake City for dinner tomorrow, and since I don't want to look quite as windblown and overly-caffeinated tomorrow when I meet my friends as I did most of today, I should really go to bed so that I can wake up refreshed tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: