Saturday, December 13, 2008

king of wishful thinking

Tonight was my company's holiday party. I can barely type, due to the fact that someone on my team bought me a kamikaze shot shortly before the party ended -- but I had an excellent time. Adit was my date, which was v. lovely; he seemed to enjoy talking to Pete and Pete's fiancee Bridget, and so we had a good time. I met up with Pete and Bridget for a drink before the party, and then hung out with them off and on throughout the evening. Since Pete was part of the first invasion of Iraq while I was taking winter finals at Stanford, he has little patience for my complaints about the quality of parties, microkitchens, perks, etc., which is a good check and balance even if I'm annoyed that my 'war stories' can't compare to his actual war stories.

I must say, many things were different between tonight's party and the parties of yesteryear. For one, budgetary cutbacks were evident, since we each got one drink ticket (instead of an open bar) and there were cookies and plastic-wrapped candies as food instead of the lavish dinner spreads of yore. For another, I either directly or indirectly managed 50+ people at the party -- that's about 1 out of 20 employees there, or 1 out of 35 or 40 when you count guests. Since I sent out an email this morning suggesting that they remember that this is a work function, it would have been hypocritical of me to go over the top.

But, I survived, Adit survived, my team seems to have made it through unscathed, and Katrina successfully crashed the party before giving me a ride home. So, all is good! It's bedtime for me, though -- there's a lot to do this weekend if I'm going to make it home on Thursday. Goodnight!

No comments: