Saturday, February 25, 2006

save my life i'm going down for the last time

Getting up was difficult this morning, but I did make it to work for a meeting that I couldn't miss. I left around 5:30, stopped at the grocery store, and then met Claudia and Terry at my apartment. The three of us went to Marie Callendar's, which has tasty food despite an average clientele age of 67. In fact, we were the only people our age in the entire place. How sad is that? Then we came back to my place, and Tammy came over. I think that our Olympics fanaticism may have scared Claudia and Terry away, since they left together--actually, I think Claudia left because she was sick, and Terry probably didn't want to be left to face our insanity alone. Tammy and I then watched all of tonight's Olympic coverage, including the v. lame figure skating champions' gala. Chad Hedrick got the silver in the mens' 10,000m speed skating. I should have been happy for him since he's American, but I just think he's obnoxious. The best part of tonight was that he told the press that he'd discovered that a screw was loose on one of his skate blades, and he speculated that this kept his skate from performing at its peak potential by at least 20%, but that he 'wasn't going to make excuses' for his bronze finish in the 1500m. The fact that he said he wasn't going to make excuses even though he was the one who told the press about the skate was hilarious and aggravating at the same time. But the best part was when Dan Jansen demonstrated what Chad Hedrick was saying with a real skate, showing how an improperly tightened screw would affect the blade. Then, he showed a still frame from the supposedly-bad race and a still frame from the race that Chad Hedrick won, and demonstrated with the special drawing pen that the skates were performing identically in the two races. Chad Hedrick totally got told on that issue! Meanwhile, Shani Davis doesn't seem to be talking to the press at all, but they did show footage of him cheering for Chad during the entire 10,000m. End result of these Olympics--I think Chad Hedrick is a tool, NBC makes huge stories out of absolutely nothing, and Shani Davis is awesome.

Okay, I'm too exhausted to write more; it's time for bed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Mark says you are going to have terrible Olymoic Withdrawal Syndrome.