Wednesday, February 08, 2006

one look from you and i would fall from grace

Run, don't walk, to see 'The Matador'. I wasn't expecting much, and perhaps I should keep your expectations low as well. But, Pierce Brosnan was surprisingly effective as a washed-up hitman (bye-bye Bond), and Greg Kinnear was great as a sort-of boring Everyman caught in a strange situation. The movie was full of colorful characters and moments that turned out to be hilarious throw-away gags rather than vital pieces of plot. Pierce Brosnan's character was also as offensive and ridiculous as anyone I've had the pleasure of watching recently, with such memorable lines as 'She looked like a Bangkok whore on a Sunday morning after the Navy left town'. Yay. Zach and Claude are also v. fun to watch movies with, so we had a great time. I also have 'In the Heat of the Moment' by Asia stuck in my head, so I was forced to download it, and now I want to make myself of a mix of all those terrible New Wave songs from the 80s. I used to have one that I now presume is with my brother, but I could make an even better mix if I gave it the old college try. So, we'll see what happens.

In other news, I'm not going to Ireland until the beginning of April due to a particularly nasty snarl of situations at work. I'm not going to blog anything more about it, other than to say that it's rather frustrating that I'm now homeless and that this homeless situation won't end anytime soon. However, hopefully something will work out. I'm also pretty portable now--I showed up at Terry's tonight with my small rolling carry-on suitcase, a basket with all of my bath supplies, and my laptop, all perfectly contained and ready to go. I just have to plan ahead every couple of days and grab clothes from my office, since everything clean lives there while everything dirty resides in my trunk, waiting for a trip to the laundromat. Anyway, if you want to hear more details, you'll have to email me--I'm much too cautious to discuss anything on my blog.

I'm more than happy to use my blog to discuss 'In the Heat of the Moment', though, and I'd love to discuss it with you as well, so feel free to ask me about it if you wish. At this point, though, I should go to bed--and by bed I mean Terry's pull-out sofa. Awesome. At least I'm not sleeping in my car; I'll just have to make sure that I stay on good terms with my friends so that I don't reach that point.

7 comments:

Emily said...

i'm so psyched you saw the movie - i saw it last week and HEARTED it. :)

i'm sad for your predicament. That stinks. If it makes you feel better, if you weren't homeless in NYC, you'd probably have a vermin problem since it's been so cold here. Gross, gross, gross.

enjoy your 80s new wave music!!

Anonymous said...

Irish Tourist Board should give you a special prize for creating business "before your time". Great family lore is born. For ye'll take the high road and I'll take the low road and I'll be in
<-XXScotlandXX-> Ireland afore ye!
2funnyLOL

Anonymous said...

Sad that your trip is delayed, but on the bright side, April will get you there in time for the annual Gerard Manley Hopkins Festival - last week in July!

http://www.gerardmanleyhopkins.org/festival/

Anonymous said...

Can we plan on St. Paddy's in Cheyenne?!

Anonymous said...

Upon further reflection, might it be said that announcing a move to a foreign land thus deflecting would be spring break visitors to those shores and then feigning homelessness is a great scam to avoid dealing with Iowa Hillbillys in Mountain View? [That could be a great sitcom!] Or mayhaps you can establish faux homelessness as the next megatrend of the blogosphere glitterati. Could you borrow Katie's ID to score a FEMA hotel room in California as a NOLA evacuee? Sounds like a song -- Welcome to the FEMA Hotel California; I'm sure your dad knows the lyrics. [If a sitcom evolved Hyderbad Vijay, Hy-V, could be the desk clerk.] Then there is that great song about bay area storage facilities -- I Left My Stuuuuuff in San Francisco. And while we're on the subject of music, how about the song concerning our next President - Rice-a-roni, the Stanfordcisco Treat? Little Wamp, Cheyenne for St. Paddy's is a waste; the Wyoming tax sale with 18% interest is in August.

Anonymous said...

Refridgerator boxes for your housing needs should be plentiful in California.

Anonymous said...

So I just got done watching CMT's "Trick My Truck" a semi tractor equivalent to "Pimp My Ride." This semi just got completely made over with custom everything, paint, chrome rims, wood floor, and saloon doors into the sleeper. And that's when it hit me! Dad's semi hasn't been on the road much lately, so we could probably park it out there somewhere and you'd have the whole sleeper at your disposal. At least you'd have your own bed; consider it an option if you piss off all of your friends.