Saturday, January 13, 2007

here it's december everyday

It's literally freezing tonight; it's supposed to get down to 24 degrees tonight, which is practically unheard of and is near a record low for Palo Alto. It's quite amusing to me, in that sort of obnoxious way that I so adore, that the people here are probably more extremely concerned about global warming than the people in my home state, and yet Iowa has had one of the mildest winters ever, while the Bay Area had been surprisingly cold recently. Yes, I understand that climate change and global warming do not necessarily mean that every area will experience rising temperatures, but it still makes me laugh.

I was actually happier today as a result of the brisk temperatures, I think; maybe my dissatisfaction levels in California rise during fall and winter because it's not as cold as my body thinks it should be, and so there isn't the feeling of a year dying and being reborn that I had in Iowa. Rather than some bitter cold to cleanse everything before the next year, things just sort of trudge along in a steady state indefinitely, which doesn't do a lot for my strong need for closure at the end of key cycles. Today was great, though; it was cold all day, and my jacket wasn't thick enough, so I got to appreciate the cold while I was running around between buildings for a series of meetings this afternoon. Now, since my apartment lacks double-paned windows or any real insulation, I can feel the cold seeping in over my bed, which makes the comforter and jersey knit sheets feel necessary rather than just like I'm using them because I psychologically feel that the season demands jersey-knits. This feeling may get old fast, but it's kind of nice to have something mildly approaching 'winter', if only for a few days.

Nothing too exciting happened at work today; I came home with the intention of working some more to get through things so I would have less to do this weekend, but I lost motivation and so read a book instead. Now I'm going to bed so that I can get up tomorrow and hopefully finish the stuf I have to get done for work--then I'll still have two full days off that I can devote to whatever I want. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, my dear little sister...You missed the frigid artic temps here! Your brother in law yesterday spent many hours trying to get home in the ice. No ice here yet but parts of IL and MO had lots of nasty ice. Doubt the people in CA unless they are transplanted there would handle the below zero temps we are going to be getting.

Have a good weekend.