Sunday, July 08, 2007

i ain't missing you at all

It's a good thing that I like my job right now, since I was in the office again this afternoon. I woke up at 8:30 because I was expecting a furniture delivery; they actually showed up early (9am) and were out of here in <5mins, so I took a nap on my couch for an hour and a half or so. Then I got up, slathered on some makeup, and had a nice brunch all by myself at Mike's Cafe. I got the veggie casserole, which just wasn't the same without all the fresh tomatoes that I'm allergic too :( But, it was still delicious. Then, I went to the office, where I did about three hours of work.

Claude came to break me out, and we went to a barbecue hosted by the head of her former lab. Those people were clearly all at a different stage of their life - the prof and another guest there had kids, so we pretty much talked about kids the entire time. The kids were adorable, but I'm so glad that I'm not a mother yet - I would like to have kids someday, but I definitely don't want them right now. We went back to my office around 5pm, where I worked for an hour while Claude read a magazine. Then, we met up with Sri - they were going to see 'Ratatouille', but I was too busy to commit to seeing a movie. We decided to get coffee before they went to see the movie, but then we ended up going to the 7-11 in Mountain View that has been turned into a Kwik-E-Mart from 'The Simpsons'. I had noticed yesterday that there were hordes of people at this 7-11, which was very odd - I went to get a sandwich at Quiznos, and normally that little strip is completely deserted, but I actually had trouble finding parking. There were people swarming everywhere, security guards posted, people taking pictures, etc. Turns out that 7-11 has turned 12 stores across the US and Canada into Kwik-E-Marts as a tie-in with the premiere of 'The Simpsons Movie' later this month, and this particular store was one of them. They probably more than made up for the cost of all the decorations by all the crap they were selling - Sri and I both got slushies (renamed Squishees), which never would have happened otherwise, since we would have just gone to Starbucks. What an absolutely brilliant marketing campaign...I have to admire them, even if there was this white guy who was trying to pretend that he was Indian (although I doubt that it was in line with corporate policy).

So Sri, Claude and I hung out for awhile, which was nice; Sri claimed that I would not see him again until November, which I sincerely hope is not true. I went back to work briefly, then started talking to my parents, so I decided to come home. I did a bit more when I got here (including baking a cake for someone at work), but now I'm tired, so I think I'll go to bed. I hope everyone is having a lovely July!

No comments: