Thursday, July 26, 2007

you're the one that i want

What a crazy day! Today was the first day of a two-day management training offsite related to management and communication styles; one of the catchphrases of this executive coaching company is 'building value through values', so you can guess what type of training it was. We spent a lot of time walking through various conversations and better ways to have approached the situation, how to be responsible for one's actions and behaviors, etc. I'm more looking forward to tomorrow, where we get into our personality tests - today contained a lot of stuff I'd heard before in mini-trainings from this company or in the book that I read from them a few months ago, and I was having trouble staying awake in the afternoon due to my constant low level of exhaustion. But, it was good to get out of the office, and it was thought-provoking, and there are a couple of conversations that I've had recently that I now want to revisit.

After the offsite got out, I met Vidya, Sri, and Claudia for coffee at Starbucks. That's an exaggeration - I had a couple of sips of iced tea, and they didn't have anything at all. We also sat in what Sri called the worst table in the entire place, given that it was in the the middle of this very sticky puddle, near a swarm of bugs. Also, the conversation was rather stilted. It was quite strange. Sri and Vidya both had other dinner plans, so Claude and I went to Naomi Sushi in Menlo Park and had a delicious dinner - I love eel, and crunchy shrimp/crab rolls, and raw tuna. I can't believe that I grew up in Iowa and then came out here to ended up loving raw fish. Then we met up with Adit at Cafe Borrone, where we spent around an hour and a half reminiscing, discussing life, etc.

So, it was quite a nice evening - I'm really trying to make more time for my friends. However, that doesn't mean I'm balanced. The training this morning included this discussion of the relationship between 'I', 'We', and 'It' - if you conceptualize these as a three-legged stool, all areas have to be equally weighted in order for the stool to be stable. When I drew the three circles representing my I/we/it, my 'it' circle was huge - I am quite satisfied with what I'm working on right now. My 'we' was also fairly big; while it was much smaller than my work circle, it was big because I'm trying to spend time with my friends and forge new connections at work. However, my 'I' circle was tiny - while I'm happier in the short term because I'm spending more time with my friends, I'm able to do this because I'm sacrificing sleep/self-reflection in order to have time for everything else. Then again, right now I'd rather have friends than sleep, so it's all good.

Okay, it's time for bed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

y don't u update this from jour crackberry?