Friday, July 01, 2011

the winner takes it all

I'm blogging from my phone again, which is unfortunate. Even more unfortunate is that I lost, but c'est la vie. Actually, and I totally mean this, if I couldn't win, I'm glad for the woman who did - she finaled the year I won, so I've known her for a couple of years, and she's super sweet.

Anyway, I still had a lovely day despite all that. I met up with some board members and staff to talk about next year's awards ceremony, then had a shitty hotel breakfast, then watched rehearsals from 12:30 to 4. I really like the woman who will be my assistant chair, and the staff member helping us seems awesome. I wrote some rather copious notes of what I would keep and what I would consider changing, and I'll have to get cracking on a plan when I get back from Germany. But it should be fun, a great visibility opportunity, etc - sort of like my old job, I'm just not getting paid for it.

After rehearsal, I came back to my room, showered, blew out my hair, did my makeup, and then talked to my mother while eating a Starbucks sandwich and trying not to throw up from nerves. I don't get to that point often and I hate it when I do, so I'm glad I was able to chill for awhile. Then my roommate came back, got ready, zippes me into my dress, and we we went down to the ceremony.

My category was first, so at least my nerves died after that. We enjoyed the rest of the ceremony, and I didn't even have to get drunk to do so. I hung out after the ceremony with some awesome members of the San Francisco chapter, but I finally bid the conference adieu, and am now about to go to bed. My roommate leaves in the morning, and then I need to decide what to do with my last couple of days in New York (and force myself to do more than just read and write, which is all I want to do). But now, it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: