Friday, July 06, 2012

foundations of stone

I was v. productive today, at the cost of my neck - I probably should have left the house or something. Or gotten out of bed before ten a.m. - I laid around way too late. Anyway, my accomplishments feel quite...accomplish-y. I did a thorough cleaning and reorganizing of my room, which felt long overdue since I had piles of books and papers everywhere and it was starting to impact my ability to focus (or maybe I was procrastinating - unclear). So now everything is organized and neat, and hopefully it will stay that way while I slog through this draft.

Then I procrastinated for awhile, checking rankings and the like - HEIRESS is #2 in Regency romance on B&N, and is slowly creeping up, although the last slots to overtake #1 are likely impossible to bridge. I'm at like 132 overall in the Nook store right now and the other book is at 22...which means it either needs to drop like a rock, or I somehow have to surpass the other 100 books between us (which includes books like, say, THE HUNGER GAMES and a whole shitload of James Patterson and George R.R. Martin). Yes, I'm obsessed. I was taken down a notch by someone who gave it a one-star review on Goodreads, but since that person gave one of my favorite books ever (SUNSHINE by Robin McKinley) a one-star review because "she uses the f-word", I have a feeling she's not my target reader.

When I finally stopped procrastinating, I wrote four pages of Nick and Ellie, then slogged through my email inboxes, then took care of one of the big remaining tasks for the awards ceremony (writing all the presenter intros), which I had been putting off. And now, I should really sleep - tomorrow includes fun things like going to the post office and trying to finish this first 100 pages so I can send it to my editor, and I need to sleep (and get my neck to stop hurting). Goodnight!

No comments: