Monday, July 02, 2012

manic monday

First, apologies for not blogging last night; I wanted to blog, but my internet was frozen when I made my attempt, and I was in no mood to blog laboriously from my phone instead. Suffice it to say, though, that it was a blame it on the alcohol kind of night - I had dinner with Adit and Priyanka at Radish, which was delish (and surprisingly meaty for a restaurant named after a vegetable; I had a barbecue pork sandwich on a gluten-free bun, which was awesome). And we split a nice bottle of malbec, which would have been just right for me, since I've barely drank anything since Mexico and am happy to keep it that way so that I can be productive and writerly (without being an Ernest Hemingway kind of writer)...

...but things went sideways, as they usually do when I'm with Adit, and he and I abandoned Priyanka to meet up with one of his friends for a drink at the Latin American Club. He told me that the place is known for its margaritas, but I believe 'infamous' would be a better word than 'famous' - it turns out that a margarita there is served in a pint glass and is approximately 80% tequila, with a bit of triple sec and a lime wedge for looks. We had one round while talking about the damn kids these days, how technology is moving too fast to keep up, and whether we're going to hit a singularity - and then Adit bought another round, which seemed like a good idea at the time (as it always does). By the time I made it through a third of the glass, I knew I had to stop, and so we vacated and I took a cab home.

And then I woke up this morning with the worst hangover I've had in months, and a skinned elbow that I don't remember skinning. I guess a pint of cheap tequila on top of two glasses of wine will do that to you. I got out of bed at nine, shocking Terry, and laid on the couch for twenty minutes before the spins became too much for me and I decided to sleep through the next couple of hours of pain. I woke up again at noon to discover that Terry had left for LA (goodbye roommate!), and that my hangover had progressed to mere surliness rather than dire awfulness.

I spent the rest of the afternoon recovering, and I took a taxi back to Adit's to pick up my car and do a bit of writing at a cafe near there. Then I came home, talked to my parents, procrastinated, and eventually settled into to make progress on my to do list - and worked nonstop for the past six hours. I'm not all the way to inbox zero, which is particularly difficult since I have three active email accounts and two more that I lurk on, but I crossed a ton of pesky stuff off my to-do list. The goal was to clean up enough stuff that I could better focus on Nick and Ellie tomorrow, and so far so good.

But now I really need to go to sleep - I'm not used to staying up this late, and I need to get up and get cracking on the writing. Goodnight!

No comments: