Tuesday, March 15, 2005

my shallow heart's the only thing that's beating

Wheeeeee. I've gone out for meals endlessly the past few days. Tonight, I had dinner with Tammy, Shedletsky and Claudia at Tamarine in Palo Alto; it felt very grown up, since we had dinner late (we got there just before they stopped seating at nine p.m.), I was wearing my 'professional' clothes (pinstriped pants and a subtle light pink sweater), we were able to successfully keep our laughter soft despite repeated references to sex, drugs, and the grunting noise made by the sherpa in Zoolander during the orgy scene, and the food was more expensive than I usually partake in on a Monday night (we had prawns, scallops, chicken skewers, and this surprisingly great soup w/wontons and coconut milk). Then, I went over to Ritu's for awhile, since I haven't seen her for ages.

So, the weekend. Friday night I had In-n-Out with Claudia, then watched basketball w/Terry and two of her v. amusing former residents. Saturday, I got my oil changed and my tires rotated (yay for industriousness), then had a late lunch with John, and then went out to dinner for Tammy's birthday (Gordon Biersch, mmm), and then ditched Tammy (badly done on our part, it was a spur-of-the-moment thing) to get ice cream w/Claude, Shedletsky and Michael at the Creamery. It was great fun because we realized we looked like we were on a v. mismatched double date (Claude and I were both wearing skirts/cute shoes, and the boys were wearing the traditional techie uniform). Also, I got to share an ice cream sundae w/Michael, and so there were numerous dirty references to cherries, and to hooking up, and to things that happened on the Loro ski trip (not that I hooked up with anyone on the ski trip, and that's especially important to point out to my dear parents, who read this religiously).

Then, we came back to my apartment, and I got to take Shedletsky's orange-mocha-frappucino-cherry, and by that I mean show him 'Zoolander' for the first time. It's fantastic to watch the movie w/someone who hasn't seen it, which is increasinly hard since I think just about all of my friends have seen it at least five times. Sunday, the dim sum club played the game, and we sat at dim sum from around 11 to 2:30. It was my turn, and I lucked out w/a scallop dumpling that I actually really liked. I sat around for a bit when we got home, went to Borders w/Claude and picked up two new romance novels (one of which I stayed up late and finished last night), then had a birthday dinner for Angela at a Thai place in Mountain View.

So as you can see, I'm quite the social butterfly. I intend to have an awesome April--beach trips, lots of dim sum, a housewarming party, Loro special dinner, etc., etc. Yay for socializing!

And for those of you who read romance novels and/or Jane Austen, I highly recommend Georgette Heyer's 'The Masqueraders'. She basically started the Regency genre, writing from the 1920s to the 1970s. This particular book involves two siblings who are swept up into their father's intrigues and so, to survive, switch sexes; so, Robin becomes Kate, and Prudence becomes Peter. It's so great, because they of course become friends with people whom they end up falling in love with, and then it's a huge mystery how it will all play out. Their father is fantastic--completely conniving, and so overbearingly confident in his own genius that he's just hysterical. There is no sex, for those of you who read romance novels for that, but the story is amusing and her dialogue is *fantastic*. You know that they have to be good, since Harlequin has started republishing most of her books, and romance novels typically don't have a 90-year lifespan.

Okay, time for bed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

no sex, no read....
just joking....anything would be better than the only romance book in my custody at the moment...i believe you have heard of "the prince of midnight"....