Wednesday, March 16, 2005

'it's more fun than converting virgins!'

Surprise! I'm in Iowa. I got on a plane last night shortly after writing my most recent post, and flew into Dallas around 6am CST this morning. I got into Des Moines around 10am, and my brother picked me up. We got home around noon, and we very much surprised my parents, who were luckily both home. Also luckily, my father had decided not to buy last-minute tickets to San Diego, so he will actually be home this weekend. Yay! I came home to surprise my parents for their 25th anniversary next week, and since my brother's home on spring break, it's a perfect little mini-vacation.

The quote in the title bar, by the way, is my father's opinion on the joys of introducing Russians to peanut butter. I had mentioned how I wanted to go on the trans-Siberian railroad someday, and he said that the 24-hour train ride he took east of Moscow once was one of the most interesting/entertaining things he's done, and watching people try to eat peanut butter when they'd never had it before was apparently vastly amusing.

So I got home, and we went out to lunch at the local tavern, which isn't much to look at (it's in the back of the American Legion building), but serves great, v. cheap food (my parents and brother all got the lunch special--hot beef sandwich w/mashed potatoes, chocolate cake, and tea/coffee--for $4, while I got a cheeseburger and cheeseballs for less than $5). It definitely isn't as scary for me as dim sum, but I could see where the ambience might scare off some of my more sophisticated friends. I took a nap in the afternoon, we had dinner, and sat around the table discussing things as we usually do. It's nice to be home, albeit briefly, since I'm flying back to California on Sunday.

Anyway, I should go to bed...the time change always wreaks havoc, since I don't want to wake up here until noon, and by then I've already wasted half the day. So, it's off to bed with me!

No comments: