Monday, March 28, 2005

they stuck me in a box in the ground (pt. 9)

The title of this post comes from one of the more memorable songs played by the Deathray Davies when they opened for Louis XIV at Slim's in San Francisco last Thursday. The Deathray Davies are a six-man band from Texas, distinguished from other bands by the presence of a bandmember whose sole goal is apparently to look retarded and shake either a tambourine or a pair of maracas. They occasionally set him loose on a xylophone, which he proceeds to beat into submission with little regard for melody. This is not to discount his prodigious talents in any way; he can keep a beat on both quarter notes and eighth notes, and he can drink a beer while playing, which is more than the drummer can say for himself. All in all, a worthy effort--however, since I had a headache before I even went to the show and my tetanus-injected arm throbbed every time someone brushed against it, I didn't have much patience for the opening act.

Adit somehow convinced me, Claudia, Ritu and Stephanie to see Louis XIV with him on Thursday night. I'm glad that I went, although I shouldn't have (I'd thrown up when I woke up Thursday morning, I think from a reaction to one of the shots I got, and I felt sick all day, and ended up throwing up again and staying home from work on Friday). Louis XIV wasn't at all what I expected; the lyrics were far raunchier than I was prepared for, and I guess I should have guessed that they would look like eyeliner-covered glam rockers, but I hadn't really thought much about them before I showed up at the club. However, I really liked their set, and I will probably buy their album; in addition to 'Finding Out True Love is Blind', which is getting a lot of airtime on the radio (and which I downloaded from the iTunes music store late Thursday night), I really liked 'Dominique' and several other pieces.

After the concert, we went to a diner and hung out, and so I didn't get home until almost two. As mentioned above, I woke up sick on Friday (and no, there was absolutely no alcohol involved, unless Adit spiked my coke at the club, but I'm sure he didn't) and so stayed home. Saturday, I had a nice brunch w/Terry at the Cheesecake Factory, then cleaned up a bit, then had dinner at home with Terry and her siblings before they went to church. I worked on my romance novel a bit last night, but I'm having trouble w/the next scene and so haven't published it to my other blog. I also drank a lot of tea; I bought loose-leaf tea on Saturday, which gives me an excuse to use the teapot I procured several weeks ago.

Today, I woke up late, watched some VH1 with Claudia, and then Ritu and Vidya came over to watch 'Pride and Prejudice.' (note: Vidya apparently only reads my blog so that she can hit Ctrl-F and search for her own name, so I'll oblige her: vidya vidya vidya vidya vidya). We turned the screening into a tea party; Claudia made really tasty cucumber sandwiches, and I made tea in a real teapot w/sugar cubes and everything, and I also made cookies and deviled eggs. Yummy! So we watched about three hours of 'Pride and Prejudice', and still have some left over so that we can have another tea party at a later date to finish it. I also hemmed two pairs of pants, drank some more tea, watched the last half of 'Steel Magnolias' on TV, and now I'm thinking that I should sleep.

Expect massive amounts of fun in the v. near future!

1 comment:

walter said...

Deathray davies? they rock. Lucky!