Wednesday, July 04, 2007

under the summer rain we burned away

Sorry I haven't blogged the past couple of days; I have no good excuses, although I didn't have my computer last night, so I suppose that might qualify. Sunday, I had a v. nice day with Claudius and her brother Marco - we went up to Millbrae with the intention of having dim sum, but when we got there, we realized that we didn't want to restart our dim sum addictions. So, to stay on the wagon, we went to Peter's Cafe instead, where I had steak and eggs - the steak was so rare that it was almost cold, which was delicious! Then, we spent a leisurely couple of hours buying toys for my new team. After wandering around Toys 'r' Us for far too long, we struck gold in the form of three different types of spy toys. We got night-vision binoculars, spy gloves (one glove has different lights to send coded messages, the other has a voice recorder), and message-bearing blow darts. I kept a package of darts to myself, and they are great; you can put a piece of paper with a message inside the nerf-style dart, then use the dart gun to shoot the dart to the person you want to give the message to. The gifts seemed to be popular with the team as well, so it was v. nice all around.

After parting ways with Claude and Marco, I did several loads of laundry, talked to my parents, and then worked for a couple of hours. Yesterday morning, I had to be in the office by 7:40 to put out the presents, and then I spent all day running around and putting out (figurative) fires...but yesterday was a major deadline/crossroads in the projects that have been keeping me so busy lately, and everything went surprisingly well. Granted, in the 24-hour period between yesterday at 5pm and today at 5pm, I got nearly 300 new emails, probably 100 of which require a response, so I'm not thrilled about that - but things could be much, much worse.

In fact, things were much, much worse this morning, when I woke up wishing that I was dead so that the pain in my head would go away. I made the fatal mistake of drinking two bottles of champagne last night, so this morning was unpleasant at best. My former manager (Lauren) had invited me and the other managers who use to report to her to come over for dinner. There were ten people there in total, including significant others and Lauren's roommate Jenni, and some dude who was visiting Lauren...and between us, we consumed 9 bottles of wine or champagne, and several 40s of beer. Lauren and I were the only ones drinking champagne, so I had roughly two bottles. Bleh. I have not read a single business or management book that recommends plowing through two bottles of champagne at a work-related function and then spending the night on your manager's couch, but that's exactly what I did. Luckily, Lauren is definitely the type who leaves work at the office and encourages hardcore socializing; if she wasn't, I never would have gotten so ridiculously intoxicated. I'm really going to miss working with her, but last night was a great sendoff.

Today, as you can guess, was pretty much a wash; I didn't get a lot done during the day, although I got to spend a lot of quality time with Excel, which I love - I've taught myself all sorts of random things, like conditional formatting and vlookups, and they came in handy today. Around 6pm, several of us (including Lauren and Jenni) used the leftover money from a team offsite and went to Benefit Cosmetics in Los Gatos - we paid them for a private party after their normal closing hours, and they gave us back $500 worth of cosmetics, split across six of us. I got all made up, and they threw in eyebrow waxing (which I've never had done before - she also trimmed my eyebrow hairs, which was nice since mine are curly and I'm afraid they're going to turn into old man eyebrows). I ended up spending more than my alloted $85 on cosmetics, but it's all good. Then I came home, watched some 'Scrubs', and played with Excel for the past three hours.

Tomorrow is going to come all too soon - I get to sleep in a bit, and then Claude and I are picking Adit up at the airport. Happy independence day!!!

No comments: