Sunday, March 20, 2011

in your eyes (the light, the heat)

Today was an utterly lazy day, which was exactly what I needed from my minibreak between finishing Madeleine/Ferguson's book and the two weeks I've given myself to plot the next one and send a synopsis to my agent. Terry surprised me by sleeping until nine a.m. -- business school (and the resultant late-night drinking excursions) has changed her. I won't say it's changed her for the better, but sleeping until nine was most certainly more welcome than waking up at six.

Anyway, after Terry got up, she made us coffee and oatmeal, and we sat around for awhile talking and watching basketball. We rallied and went to the gym, where I did stairclimber (during which I had a conversation with the woman next to me about my shoes (which are quite hot, even if they do have v. bright orange/tangerine colored soles) and treadmill (unfortunately next to a guy who randomly shouted jubilantly during his workout -- I'm pretty sure it was all self-directed/caused, since I couldn't determine any correlation between his excitement and either the basketball or 'Live Free or Die Hard' playing on the televisions). After Terry and I showered, we adjourned to a restaurant and I had a v. delicious sandwich (with carved roasted turkey, rather than deli-sliced coldcuts - yum) while we watched part of the UCLA men's basketball game.

We then proceeded to Pasadena/La Canada, where we spent the afternoon and evening with Terry's family. All of her siblings except for Tom are home this weekend, and so we spent the afternoon watching basketball (and taking advantage of the fact that every single game was on simultaneously on different channels - although flipping back and forth between all of them means I don't remember any of them, except for the awesome end to the Pitt/Butler game and the v. sad end to the Kansas St/Wisconsin game). Terry's dad grilled chicken and steak, and kept making us margaritas, so I basically sat around and ate and drank all afternoon. It was basically a reprise of Thanksgiving, only without Tom and with substantially more basketball. We eventually left around nine, came back to her place, promptly changed into pajamas, and watched some 'Raising Hope' and 'Modern Family.'

It's a bit funny that I drove all the way to LA to watch television and eat/drink, but it's been a really nice break -- I know that if I were home right now, I would be stressing myself unnecessarily. Tomorrow, the relaxation continues. I'm guessing we'll watching some more basketball, and then we're having lunch with Terry's family, hanging out with her sister Kasey before taking Kasey to the airport, and then having dinner with our friend Lisa. All in all, this has been a v. relaxing trip so far -- hopefully tomorrow is just as nice. And now, goodnight!

No comments: