Sunday, March 27, 2011

in this very moment i'm king

Today was v. productive - almost all of it was for someone else, but this was the last day that I needed to get through a lot of other stuff, and I'm going to start my synopsis tomorrow. I think I have a decent working idea for what the hero of my book has been up to for the decade prior to the story, and since I know what the heroine has been doing, I think I can make some progress.

But, today was the writing group, and so I got up, went back through the manuscript, and made notes. I finally took a break for lunch, and eventually wrapped up around one so that I could call my parents for our usual Sunday call before going to the writing group. It was good to talk to them, even if it was generally depressing (it snowed there last week, so I can't exactly blame them). Then, I went to the writing group, which was supposed to last from three until five p.m., but it ended up going until almost seven (so it's a good thing I called my parents first).

It was quite an interesting experience; the writer's fiance moderated a long discussion of her book, starting with high-level questions and eventually moving into a chapter by chapter discussion. The writer (Becky) sat in the back and took notes without talking, which might have been a nervewracking experience -- I couldn't tell if she actually enjoyed it or not, and I was thinking the whole time about how much I would hate doing that myself (even though I really enjoyed giving comments). Mostly, though, I thought the comments could be quite helpful, although that amount of feedback might be overwhelming. Also, her parents participated (who were lovely -- particularly her mother, who talked to me about Regency romances while we took a break), and her father commented on the amount of profanity and didn't seem to like that there was a happy ending, which I thought was hilarious but might have been mortified by if it had been me in her shoes.

So it was great to participate, and I'm glad I read her book; it really was good, and I enjoyed it beyond just critiquing it. When I finally got home, I discovered missed calls from my brother, so I talked to him for awhile, then ventured out of my house to get something to eat. When I got back, I was going to start brainstorming, but I'm too tired, so I caught up on romance blogs, wrote a post for my romance blog, and generally procrastinated. And now, I'm off to bed -- tomorrow I'm back to productivity, and also hopefully back to the gym and cooking better stuff for myself, since I haven't worked out in almost a week and am completely out of groceries. Goodnight!

No comments: