Thursday, March 03, 2011

so i cherish our moments when we were still young

I'm too desperate to go to bed to think of my own title, so I shamelessly stole the lyric my brother used for his blog post tonight - at least if the lyric is wrong this time, he has no one to blame but himself!

Today was lovely, despite the dreary weather that is settling in to stay awhile. I didn't succeed in getting up at 8:45, alas; I got up around 9:30, which was early enough to wash dishes, make breakfast, shower, and get all dolled up for lunch, but early enough to make it to the gym beforehand. I'll be honest and say that I didn't particularly want to go to the gym, which probably encouraged my tardiness, and I don't really feel bad about it since I'm doing an extra special bonus third session with Alyssa this week (training tomorrow and Friday), which may kill me. So, I enjoyed my last non-workout before my death v. much.

My lunch plans were with Gyre, whom I have lunch with semi-regularly; the lunches are supposed to be every three weeks, but we inevitably end up rescheduling. This lunch was originally on calendar for last week, but I moved it because I went to Monterey. Amusingly, I realized last night that today was the first day of this year's leadership conference for the group I used to work with, and I planned the inaugural version of this event last year for the big boss. That meant that I stood a v. good chance of running into people, which of course happened, although the only people I saw were either not invited or were clearly playing hooky from the event, since I carefully timed my departure to avoid them.

Avoidance did not entirely work, however. I sent an email tonight to the girl who got suckered into planning the conference, since the big boss still hasn't hired someone to replace me (which is either flattering, since I handed in my resignation in August of last year, or sad, since perhaps she doesn't need my role), and I congratulated the poor thing on making it through the first half of the conference. She wrote back a couple of hours later, said she'd told the big boss about my email, and they both invited me to the conference lunch tomorrow.

How bizarre, right? As far as I know, I'm the only former employee to be invited to such a gathering, since there are all the confidentiality issues, etc., but since I didn't go to work for a competitor, I suppose it doesn't matter. I debated for awhile, but I eventually said yes; it may be hella awkward, but there are some people from out of town whom I would like to see, so we'll see how it goes. And I have an excuse to wear a pair of the expensive heels that I used to love before my wardrobe reverted to pajamas and fuzzy socks, so there's always that.

So back to today -- Gyre and I had lunch (which was a v. welcome return to the social world for me), and he showed me around my old building since they've started a massive redecorating campaign (although the streamers from my going-away party are still up in the conference room where I bid them all farewell). Then, I went to Target and Whole Foods, came home, did a load of laundry, and edited about 25 pages of zee romance novel (with a break for dinner). My pace has slowed down remarkably, since I'm basically crossing out and rewriting almost every sentence; but despite that, I'm feeling really good about most of it, and I'm still making progress. Finally, though, I needed to call it quits, and so I watched tonight's "Top Chef: All Stars", caught up on Twitter, etc., and am now going to bed. Tomorrow's going to be eventful, since I have a training session with Alyssa, that bizarre lunch invite, and dinner with the Blood of Lincoln gang (which sounds so much more threatening than it will ever be) -- and I have to fit in another 30 pages of editing, at least, if I'm going to finish this book on schedule. Goodnight!

No comments: