Monday, March 07, 2011

i'm only gonna break break br-break break your heart

My productive hermitage continues uninterrupted; today was not quite as productive as I intended, mostly because I reached a point where I could not physically look at the screen any longer, and so I took a break and didn't finish inputting edits from the paper copy of my manuscript to my computer. But, I will finish tomorrow, and then the edits begin again (much like Michael Finnegan).

I got a lot of sleep last night, which was nice; when I woke up, I messed around and did some procrastinating before going to Joanie's Cafe for lunch. While I was there, I read a story that I was critiquing for someone, then came home and intended to type up the critique, but instead sat around and avoided it because I needed to let my brain mull over the words for a bit (which is my strategy for dulling the sharpness of my critiques, since if I say what I think as soon as I think it, I tend to draw blood -- I had to do the same thing with performance reviews too). I called my parents as well, as is my wont, and today we talked for two hours, which was nice (albeit depressing, since they told me about some goats that burned up in their neighbor's shed).

After getting off the phone with them, it was five o'clock here, and I proceeded to start working on the edits. I worked for five hours straight, with a break to eat some frozen pizza (which will earn a questionable look from Alyssa, although she was happy with what I ate last week because I didn't go out and so was limited to the generally healthy stuff I had stocked my fridge with). By ten p.m., my head was pounding, my eyes were crossing, and I couldn't stand the thought of typing anymore -- so I watched television (a tivo'd recording of Oprah's post-Oscar episode and an episode of Craig, plus five minutes of a v. disturbing CSI:Miami (yaaaaaaaaaaaah!)) while practicing my knitting. I've got a ways to go before I'll feel confident enough in my knit stitch to move on to purl, and from there to the fingerless gloves I want to make in abundance, but my rows are generally uniform and there are no noticeable holes, so I think I'll get there. Then, from midnight to one a.m., I typed up that critique that I had been avoiding, and now it's time for bed.

Tomorrow brings more of the same - edits and hermitage. If you're sick of reading about edits and hermitage, just think - you only have to read about them for three minutes a day, but it takes me sixteen hours a day of edits/hermitage to generate the content for this post. I'm doing it for you, dear reader. Goodnight!

No comments: