Tuesday, March 07, 2006

is someone getting the best of you?

I am quite hopeful that I will wake up tomorrow morning in time to shower before work, since that definitely wasn't the case today. Multiple early-morning conference calls in a row are bad news bears. Tomorrow starts at 7:30, which means I need to go to bed now if I have any hope of making it in time.

Today wasn't all bad; after work, I had dinner with Tom and Greg at Slav, which was v. nice even though the food left a lot to be desired. I've never had manicotti stuffed with sweet potatoes, and I sincerely hope that I never taste that particular combination again. I love hanging out with those boys, though, so I'm glad I went despite the mediocre dinner. Our discussions were repeatedly interrupted because they are too popular for their own good, which meant that people kept coming over to talk to them, inciting my jealousy just a wee bit. Greg unfortunately had to work, but Tom and I went to the CoHo, only to discover that it was packed, and so we ended up at the Treehouse instead. It's too bad that dinner was filling despite its mediocrity; I'd been craving nachos earlier in the day, and I totally would have gotten Treehouse nachos (which were my sole sustenance when I was on campus after my sophomore year), but I didn't think I could handle the whole plate without upsetting the work that my stomach was doing to neutralize the manicotti.

The search for meaning in my life continues; I don't think I'm any closer to my goal than I was a few weeks ago, but I feel a pressing urgency to resolve everything that is probably fueled by a) continued proofs of mortality in the form of death/illness running rampant through my friends and family, and b) my fast-approaching departure for Dublin. I think that I need to avoid making friends in Dublin so that I have more time to contemplate and create--once I made friends in India, all contemplation and creativity went completely out the window. But, there's something to be said for living an awesome life in the moment, even though that will probably prevent me from accomplishing something grander. The fight between living for the moment and living for a greater legacy is nowhere close to being resolved, although I know which of those paths I want to take even if I don't have the willpower to accomplish it. Tonight, though, the most important exercise of willpower may come by going to bed before midnight. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Emily said...

You know, Ireland has some of the greatest writers in the world - they even have an entire museum devoted to them in Dublin... Does this mean you'll finish your romance novel, please?!