Thursday, March 02, 2006

lux aeterna

Alas, the illness that I feared yesterday has sprung on me full-force today. I awoke for my 7am conference call, but I took it in my pajamas at my kitchen table. I went to work afterwards, but I only stayed until around 2pm, when I came home and took a nap. Unfortunately for my illness (but fortunately for my mental health), I had long-standing plans for dinner with Julie, and I couldn't break them because I had already cancelled on her once and didn't feel like I could do it again. So, we went to the Cheesecake Factory, which I have decided to hate with all the passion I can muster. We chose that place because I really just wanted soup, and since the Cheesecake Factory has everything, it seemed like a safe bet. In fact, their menu is about twenty pages long, and it's so thick and so ultra-glossy that they actually place advertisements for other companies' products on half of the pages. Given the density of their menu, I was shocked (shocked!) to discover that the *only* soup they carry is their 'soup of the day'. And today's soup? Lentil soup with bacon. Ew!! I despise lentils, but the idea of lentils and bacon seems immoral--lentils are a staple of Indian vegetarian cuisine, while bacon most certainly is not. Also, given how much I adore bacon, the combination of bacon and lentils seems like truffles and Franzia, or saffron and Campbell's cream of mushroom soup, or $25/pound tete du moine cheese and Saltines...or shrimp and feet, when you get right down to it, although I may actually prefer pigs' feet to lentils. That's a tough choice, though...and if you add in the petrified eggs that came with the pigs' feet at the Hong Kong Flower Lounge, I may have to choose the lentils instead, as much as the thought brings tears to my eyes.

Anyway, the Cheesecake Factory was annoying, and Julie and I have vowed never to go back. For all you inquiring minds out there, I chose a club sandwich instead, which was okay; but I prefer Quiznos, since it's twice as tasty at half the price. Now I'm sitting in my apartment, drinking some tea and hoping that I feel better so that I can go to work tomorrow. The best way to ensure that is probably by seeking out my bed, so I think that's what I shall do. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Emily said...

where are you living right now??